PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead in Refugium

tehon3299
04/11/2006, 09:20 AM
Would it be a good idea to put a small powerhead in the refugium? I've read that its recommended to keep Chaeto "tumbling" and I dont see any other way to do this...

slowECUdiver
04/11/2006, 09:24 AM
a powerhead will work, and that is what i did for my refugium. the other option (which i didn't have) is to split the intake into the sump so some of the water from the main passes through your refugium, which will provide the tumbling motion.

tehon3299
04/11/2006, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I have my overflow from the tank split to the refugium also with ball joints so I can control the flow but I didnt know if this would provide enough flow for a tumbling motion. What kind of pump would be good? A little MaxiJet 600 or something?

slowECUdiver
04/11/2006, 09:31 AM
i currently use a MJ 900 on my refugium without the little diffuser plug so it's not running 100%, but i also have two strains of chaeto and green gracalaria growing freely in addition to 3 red macros that are attached to rubble pieces so i want a good deal of flow for all the algae. if you have a spare MJ 400 or 600 lying around they will do just fine.

the reason for diverting some of the overflow to the refugium first is b/c that water is very rich in nutrients and it should provide you with good macro growth.

tehon3299
04/11/2006, 09:37 AM
Yeah, my refug is about 15"x12"x14". I've attached a pic. I dont have an extra powerhead and will be ordering one so I will probably be getting a MJ 600. Then I can slow the flow through the refug from the overflow while keeping the water movement in the refug up.

slowECUdiver
04/11/2006, 09:40 AM
if you can buy used, go for it. perhaps a fellow reefer in your area has some powerheads he/she is willing to sell for pretty cheap. and check the sale forum--always good buys there.

FWIW, i always keep extra powerheads on hand (at least 2) so whichever one i take one out to be cleaned, i replace it with an already clean one so i don't change the flow in either the main tank or sump.