PDA

View Full Version : Hello from SV

J-Ross
04/11/2006, 10:32 AM
Hello all,

I would just like to say Hello, and introduce myself. I'm Jason, living in Sierra Vista. I will soon be setting up a 'tri-zonal' reef in my 29g. I am still in the process of ordering equipment, and will hopefully be able to silicone my diffusion barrier in today.

Is anyone else familiar with the tri-zonal system, and is anyone else running a dedicated cryptic area?

This will be my third saltwater tank, but consider this my first reef tank. My old 25 sprung a leak in the bottom seal, and crashed all at the same time.

I would also like to say that I am thrilled there are so many of you out here, and the coral swaps seem like a great deal. I have had this tank since Christmas, and am very much looking forward to setting it up.

I will most likely create another post for the project, and to get some opinions from others on equipment. As for now, I'm considering:

250w halide, AB or Hamilton 14k
MJ 900's

Will the 900's be enough flow for SPS?
More to come later, and thanks in advance.

--Jason

Satori
04/11/2006, 11:30 AM
[welcome]

Hi Jason, welcome to RC! It's great to see another Sierra Vista reef keeper on the board.

I'm not familiar with a tri-zonal system, so I'm looking forward to seeing more about your setup.

I'm particular to 14k Hamilton. I love the crisp bright whiteness with a hint of blue.

I haven't used MJs before so I'm not sure about the flow. Sounds like it would be fine in a 29g though.

Mike

phenom5
04/11/2006, 11:53 AM
hey jason, welcome.

i'm not really familiar with a tri-zonal system either, so i'm interested to see this setup.

i would say that a single MJ 900 is not enough for a 29g w/ SPS. i would go with 3 MJ 900's...or maybe a couple of sieo 620's.

HTH

Roll221
04/11/2006, 02:20 PM
Hi Jason!

I have a suggestion, are you free tonight? Maybe you should come over and we could talk. MSM and I are neighbors so we could show you are tanks and discuss your tank plans.

As far as the Tri-Zonal are you talking about doing a calm lagoon area, then transitions into a type of reef flat and do the reef as the third zone?

Ed

Satori
04/11/2006, 02:29 PM
I could make time tonight.

owsi
04/11/2006, 02:45 PM
Your lucky, a great group down there.

J-Ross
04/11/2006, 03:38 PM
Hey all, Thank You for the warm welcome..

The tri-zonal system i'm going to do, is the one developed by Steve Tyree.. I will try and get some plans together to post, but for now.. There will be:

50% volume, The exposed reef flat (high light, high flow) for corals

20% volume, The filter feeder zone (varied med-low light, and high flow) for gorgonians, scallops, feather dusters, etc..

30% volume, The cryptic area (low-no light, very low flow) for sponges, and sea squirts

Ed & Mike: I am the resident "Chef" in my house, and have plans with a friend later on, what time would you be available?

HTH: there would be 2 pumps, but usually only one on at a time, I was considering MJ1200's, i was just thinking the 900's for power consumption/heat reasons

I should also point out that since the cryptic area takes up approx. 30% of the tank volume, the pumps would be for the high flow in the other 70%

John: Thanks, I think that is the only time I've been told I was lucky to be in SV *grin*

Satori
04/11/2006, 04:26 PM
I'll just be outside cutting wood for the new stand, so whenever is good with Ed.

Roll221
04/11/2006, 05:04 PM
Jason,

Sent you my number.

Ed

hancockrich
04/11/2006, 06:52 PM
If you are worried about power usage stick with the 900 and mod it. I could help you out with it. I'm sure Ed would back me up that it puts out a ton more flow. Two modded 900's is enough for a 55 gal. Welcome to the group. I'm sure we will meet soon...rich

Satori
04/11/2006, 09:32 PM
Jason,
Sorry I missed you at Ed's. Keep us posted how the tri-zonal system comes along, if you decide to go that way. I'm definitely going to read up on it now.

J-Ross
04/12/2006, 04:32 PM
Well, I'm having second thoughts about putting the diffusion barrier in the tank after seeing how big some of Ed's colonies are. I still want to have the tri-zonal concept, using filter feeders and cryptic animals, for a more naturally filtered tank. Of course, even a whole 29 isn't much for corals anyways. Also if i make a seperate 'cryptic sump/refuge' it adds to the complexity which defeats part of the purpose.

Ed: thank you again for having me over, the tank looks great, even after being half fragged. Have you had a chance to look at the slideshow yet? I really liked your idea of the 30 footer, and it's something I'd like to chat more about.

Rich: Thanks for the offer, I saw the one that Ed has, and it is quite nice. It may be the way to go

Mike: I'm sorry I missed you as well. You are definately welcome to look at the slideshow cd whenever Ed is done with it. I'm sure the books have a lot more info, but I went the easy route. Then again, as you'll see with the slideshow, it would have been nice to be able to 'pause' at the information you wanted.

J-Ross
04/13/2006, 12:55 PM
Would anyone have any ideas for a non-permanent way of mounting the diffusion barrier, as opposed to siliconing it in?

I thought about trying to put some silicone on the edges of the diffusion barrier, and letting it seal. In that way there would be a relatively flexible edge i could wedge in the tank, and support with rock. But then there is the risk of putting too much silicone and it being too tight. Or just not having a great seal and getting too much flow through the edges.

Any other ideas?

--Jason

Saltwater™.Az
04/23/2006, 05:43 AM
Hi boys! Nice to see a few folks down in SV. I'm back into the reef's after about a 18 years or so. Currently I have up a 125 gal reef. Another 125 gal on the back porch. I also scored a 250 gal last week in Tucson with works! I'm curious as to where you boys have been purchasing you specimens since we all know SV doesn't have zip for reef. Both LFS have no knowledge, period.

Well, here a quick pic of what I got. I started this 125gal up on Feb 28, 2006. I know, it's dirty. Tomorrow is cleaning day on it.
http://www.gameonservers.com/IMG_0453.JPG

Satori
04/23/2006, 09:52 AM
Awesome, another SV reefer.

I get a lot of stuff online. FRAG and PROP in Phoenix have coral sales and auctions. If we go up for that, it's a good chance to stop at the LFS up there.

We do the same thing in Tucson.

Roll221
04/23/2006, 10:08 AM
Welcome,

Figures, since I am getting ready to leave other reefers would start coming out of hiding :)

Ed

Saltwater™.Az
04/23/2006, 04:47 PM
If anyone interested, I've got 3 tubs of LR, tonga branch and some fuji. Couple hundred pounds of it. It came with the 250 I bought last week.

fishaholic911
04/23/2006, 05:13 PM
how much

J-Ross
04/23/2006, 05:54 PM
Hey Saltwater.AZ

Welcome to the board. I might be interested in some of that rock, if you have some 'nano' sized pieces...

Also in that picture on the far left under the two yellowtail blue chromis, is that a 'blueberry' gorgonian? If so, I'd definately be willing to buy a frag from you when my tank is ready.

--Jason

Saltwater™.Az
04/24/2006, 12:37 PM
I don't think I have any nano sizes. It all came with the 250 gal. And yes, that's a BG! I just got it about 4 days ago.

J-Ross
04/24/2006, 12:53 PM
Well that's too bad, for me that is... Maybe I could buy a piece or two to reseed my old live rock, OR break it? How much did you want for the rock? Those BG's are so awesome looking, I've been eyeing them on some websites for months. I'll definately have to have one in my tank.

--Jason

Saltwater™.Az
04/24/2006, 02:32 PM
It's my first BG. I'll let you know how it goes with it. The other two are doing ok. As for the LR, I guess the best thing to do is come by and look at it. See if there's something you can use. If your interested, PM me a number I can call you at.