PDA

View Full Version : New Hairdew

ka34579
04/11/2006, 05:41 PM
I own a 75-gallon tank at home waiting for me to revamp and once the spring semester in Boston ends. In the tank right now from what my father tells me is a reclusive rusty angel and a very small clarkii clown, a lot of fake coral, a good deal of algae, a lot of copepods, and some high nitrates. I have been sending him home boxes to store until I get home to do the maintainence, so far including: 70 lbs of new sand, the essentials like tons of salt, test kits etc.
The tank is currently running on about a 7 year old wet/dry and a probably burnt out uv sterilizer. As I plotted what I was going to do I am wondering whether I should replace the nitrate factory wet/dry with or think of some other means to improve the overall day to day water quality besides cleaning which has been going on at 30% water change every week or two. In my budget range is a good skilter filter but having never used one I was wondering how canister filters are, like the large Ocean bucket ones. What's me best bet.
Also, once the mechanics are worked out, I have 45 lbs of cured fiji live rock on hold which will be going in. I know 75 is more common but 45 is all I can afford. Should this affect my filter decision.
Being a biology student I have picked up a thing or two along the way and in rebuilding the tank I think Im going to have to have some sort of cleanup crew. What sorts of inverts should I concentrate on especially to keep the sand clean.
Finally, I know I dont have reef capable lighting, but provided I have reef safe fish which we've always had, how difficult will it be to try my hand at feather dusters or the like worm species. What species are a good start and what inverts should I avoid with them, Im assuming serpent stars, etc.
I would have put some of these questions in other forums but the search doesn't seem to work anymore. Thanks for any help.

Scuba_Dave
04/11/2006, 06:25 PM
Do you live in MA, or just going to school here?
Since you are sending boxes home, seems like it's not close enough to travel to.

If you will not be home to maintain the tank, and no-one else is there to do the work for you; then even a FO tank may not do well.

ka34579
04/11/2006, 07:18 PM
No, I go to school within a half hour, and my father knows enough to maintain it, he has just recently been lagging because he broke his leg.

ReefNeck
04/11/2006, 07:24 PM
Ka34579, I can tell you this much....Small nassarius snails will sift your sand bed well and scarlet legged hermits are great at eating nusience algae.

Also, Feather Dusters are not a light demanding animal. They have no light requirements at all and feed off phytoplankton in the water column. If you don't have corals that you feed then you would just need to target feed the tubes occasionally and the feather dusters should do fine for you.

I hope that helps.

ka34579
04/11/2006, 08:21 PM
Reefneck, I had been looking at nassarius snails actually, so i am planning on order 20 of those probably

Scuba_Dave
04/11/2006, 08:36 PM
Boston Reefers club is in this state, NH, RI & some other states
There are also other club forums in RC

BRS site:
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/index.php

Sorry to hear about your dad, that can hamper day to day activities

Water changes - 10% a month should be min, Many people do that much every week. Sounds like you have that covered

Fake coral, or dead coral? Fake I remove, dead coral I let stuff grow on it

Copepods are good, algae can be taken care of, nitrates (high) are bad for corals

Reg sand, live sand, Southdown? I went with Southdown
Wet dry - I ditched mine on the 60g hex, they are good for FO.
I went to FOwLR, then eventually Reef as I added more LR

Filters can trap detrius, unless they are cleaned fairly often can lead to poor water quality. Are you going to put a skimmer on to pull out junk?

Less LR is not a "bad" thing, so long as you only stock what your tank & LR will handle - bio-load. Your 75 w/ 45 lbs with a few fish would do better then another 75g with 2x the rock, but overstocked. It's all a balancing act
More rock - more bio-load can be handled
Better skimmer - same

Usually you can pu "dead" rock or rock from someone breaking down a tank. BRS threads had some good deals on rocks, 200+ lbs - $2.50 lb

Clean-up crew - Nass snails, I liek crabs - many people do not
I have an assortment in my tank. Some of these, some of those
Coral Banded shrimp (CBS), cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, hermit crabs, emerald crabs

You can grow quite a bit under NO lights
Mushrooms & some leathers - softies, you can have a nice tank with these. I have a lot of softies in my tank

and - I picked up (2) 175w MH setups w/reflectors for about $30 each ")

Good luck, check out the BRS - lots of members from all over