PDA

View Full Version : (this is a freshwater question) What tipe of filter is the best?

reefkeeper27439
04/11/2006, 05:53 PM
Hi,
this mite not be the right place but what tipe of filter is best for a freshwater tank? i have a 29 long tank with a 60 gallon powerfilter and a 120 gallon powerfilter but it still wont stay cleen.
Ive considered canisterfilters but i dont want to drop $80 if it wont work.

Thanks.

bassnman11
04/11/2006, 06:44 PM
Filters only pick up what is moving around in the water. To keep it clean, you need to vac the bottom. A python is the handiest but a regular siphon vac works fine. This also removes enough water for your water changes. If you vac heavy, do 1/2 every other week and just lightly skim over the rest.

surfnvb7
04/11/2006, 07:38 PM
i used to do the whole freshwater planted tanks. if you check out another forum, called theplantedtank.net, you'll see the filter of choice, happens to be a canister filter.

they have something called "the eheim pimp club". i guess this is comparable to the deltec posse over here :lol: i gave in and got an eheim canister filter also. it definitely rocked. they are so much better than HOB filters, so much more versitile. very well built.

but other than that, going the very cheap route, get some sort of biowheel HOB filter.

~ChrisB~
04/11/2006, 08:21 PM
It's actualy just plantedtank.net .

artis
04/11/2006, 09:24 PM
I've been around freshwater longer than I care to admit. I don't profess to be an expert however. The combination of filters I came to trust more than any was:

1. Hang on back Emperor sized appropriately.

2. Eheim Cannister

3. Reverse flow undergravel.

I use all three on the fresh water tanks I've had set up the last several years. I should note that I've given away or sold most of my freshwater stock in favor of my interest in saltwater lately. I only have a tank of Jack Dempseys with a lone chinese algae eater (thing must be 5 - 6 years old and near 6 inches long). I have never tried a planted tank so that set of filters may not work at all for planted tanks.

More important than filters, however, is a topic someone has already mentioned. Clean your gravel with water changes. The reverse flow makes that a less nasty chore, but it is critical. Of the common practices between fresh and salt water, I think religous devotion to water changes has been most important to me.

reefkeeper27439
04/14/2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks this was realy helpfull.

prugs
04/15/2006, 10:01 PM
I had planted tanks to. Loved the Rena Filstar cannister series.

reefkeeper27439
04/17/2006, 03:21 PM
i tryed the gravel vack it works great. Thanks. I will try and get a canister filter soon thanks for the help everybody

Chromed1
04/18/2006, 07:07 AM
I have many years with FW and have used the Magnum 350 cannister for the last 5 years. Love it! It is a very heavy duty filter and my water is always crystal clear.

worlds under
04/18/2006, 09:31 AM
if you get this late post tidepool wet/dry is the best in my opinion. costly and overkill on less than a 55gal

mag 350 im tired of them but they work
eheim the best canister money can buy.
Rena best filter for the price

LittlePuff
04/18/2006, 05:56 PM
AquaClear.

Kim

Hop
04/18/2006, 06:04 PM
Wow, varied responses. I would suggest the HOT magnum for your set up... The advantages of a cannister without the mess associated with one. I've had two running for twelve years now, still going strong. I've only had to replace the sponge and the media...

In that same time frame I've had fluval, Eheim, aquaclear and tetra filters on other tanks... The only other filter still running is my eheim and even it had some parts that needed replacing here and there. The others only lasted a few years at best:)