PDA

View Full Version : Reef Advantage Calcium and Reef Builder

Andrewsreef
04/11/2006, 08:23 PM
I have used these in the past to keep calcium and alkalinity in check. These products are relitively inexpense when purchased in dry form. My question is can each part be mixed up in a container with RO/DI water and used like a 2 part solution? I would want to make enought to use for say a week or month in advance. I realize I would need to find out how much to mix of each to keep ionic balance. I wanted to see if they would stay in solution and not break down or something and cause problems.

I have read some about the home made brew and I may get together with a friend and attempt it. However, I must admit, if I can purchase the dry Seachem products and mix it myself, I may take the lazy route.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/12/2006, 06:45 AM
You can probably do that just fine, although I'm not sure how well it will all dissolve since I am not sure what form they add magnesium in the reef Advantage Calcium. Seachem seems to prefer magnesium sulfate over magnesium chloride, and if they use the sulfate, you may find that calcium sulfate will precipitate if you make a solution in pure fresh water.