PDA

View Full Version : New fish for my tank?

TitaniuIVI
04/12/2006, 12:10 AM
Looking for a new fish for my tank. It's a 55gal and what I have in there now is in my sig. I'm looking into getting a blue tang, or foxface. Both would be great too. I'm also willing to take out any of the fish I have in there now. Any suggestions? I also know that both these fish are prone to Ich. I have one cleaner shrimp and two cleaner gobies. Should I get anything else just incase? I wanted to get another cleaner shrimp anyways. I also have 2 peppermint shrimp in there that I would also be willing to take out.Note, I have no crabs, just snails.

bertoni
04/12/2006, 12:16 AM
Personally, I think the tank has more fish than it can really support, so I wouldn't recommend adding any more. I'd probably stop with about 6-7 royal-gramma-sized fish.

kingtoad
04/12/2006, 12:47 AM
I think your tank is crowded right now.

Definatly no more tangs a foxface since you already have a yellow tang in there.

How fond are you of the chromis? What about getting rid of the chromis and neon gobies, and get a juvenile clown to make a pair, and maybe even toss in an anemone.

Or a jawfish... those are beautiful fish.

TitaniuIVI
04/12/2006, 01:39 AM
I already have another tank with clowns with an anemone. And another tank that will soon have a yellow head jawfish. But getting rid of any fish would be resonable if I could get in either fish. Any removal suggestions?

kau_cinta_ku
04/12/2006, 04:49 AM
even with removing fish i wouldn't suggest another tang or foxface in a 55 gal.

kingtoad
04/12/2006, 09:25 AM
Tough situation. I probalby would get rid of the gobies and chromis and find another fish to put in there.

Flame Hawkfish

Coral Beauty

Bicolor Dwarf

TitaniuIVI
04/12/2006, 12:44 PM
Angels may eat corals. that's a risk I'm really not willing to take. Any other fish?

bertoni
04/12/2006, 12:45 PM
I would get rid of the tang, since they get rather large and need big tanks.

ricks
04/12/2006, 01:54 PM
Watch out for the tang police.....

kingtoad
04/12/2006, 01:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7164221#post7164221 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TitaniuIVI
Angels may eat corals. that's a risk I'm really not willing to take. Any other fish?
Well, try the flame hawkfish then. They are interesting fish with interesting personalities.

Remove the chromies and neon gobies and add a hawkfish perhaps.

I personally love the blue spotted jawfish.

LauraLea
04/12/2006, 03:11 PM
I am confused about the "cleaner shrimp"/hawkfish compatibility. When I was first researching the hawkfish I was feeling pretty confident that with caution (not a small shrimp) that they could be mixed. I also got the impression that certain species (like Arc Eye and Red) were on the more aggressive side. That the Flame and Spotted, were more community. I also consulted a couple of the LFS personnel that I trust and they told me that the Spotted would be fine with the shrimp.

Of course, I am learning more everyday and now I am paraoid that one day I am going to come home and (Alf Alfa is going to have been consumed by the "Evil Peppermint"...) Am I just reading too much and obsessing, or have I made a huge mistake?

It stinks being new!

kingtoad
04/12/2006, 04:08 PM
Flame Hawkfish are aggressive towards small fish, smaller shrimps, and newly introduced fish. However, if you get a fairly small Flame Hawkfish (Which he should) it shouldn't be a problem, and as long as it's the last fish introduced to the tank (Which it should be considereing his current bioload).