PDA

View Full Version : 2nd cycle ???

ERICN
04/12/2006, 06:34 AM
Hello guys I have a 55g that I decided to make my hospital tank. It has been up for bout a year now nothing special hang on filter skimmer and heater had lil bit of rock in it, anyway I took out all the rock and sand to go bare bottom hospital and put in bout 10 pieces of PVC for hiding and tested water and nitrite is up lil to .02 and my ammonia is bout half way up on my test kit bout .4 is this the cycle process? and if I did make it cycle I have my fish in there because my main tank came down with ich so I cant put the fish back in my display help lol can anyone plz explain the cycle process

ERICN
04/12/2006, 01:34 PM
bump

bertoni
04/12/2006, 03:16 PM
Bumping your own thread takes you off the unanswered list.

From your description, I think the filter is starting to grow the bacteria needed to make it effective. Once the ammonia hits zero, you could test that hypothesis by adding a bit of fish food each day for a few days, and see whether ammonia stays zero. If so, you're ready to go.

ERICN
04/13/2006, 09:20 AM
the problem is I have 10 fish in that tank now I did bout 40% water change yesterday and that brought everything down but need to know if going to stay down with a hang on filter on the back I change the filter pads everyweek so it cant build any bacteria right ?

bertoni
04/13/2006, 12:01 PM
If you change all the filter media weekly, it's not going to build any bacteria.