PDA

View Full Version : Stuff on live rock

LittlePuff
04/12/2006, 12:21 PM
It has white stuff covering part and most of my live rock. It's not fuzzy and won't come off with a turkey baster. It's in 2 tanks with LR from Marine Depot. It's been in a month. The tank has cycled. Everything is fine, except my pH is ~7.8 and my calcium is off the chart. Any ideas? Sorry, I have no way to post a pic.

Kim

LittlePuff
04/12/2006, 10:02 PM
No one has any idea??

Kim

beard
04/12/2006, 10:03 PM
is it hard or soft the white stuff

richfavinger
04/12/2006, 10:11 PM
Sounds like bleached coraline algae to me.

pitt_prodigy
04/12/2006, 10:26 PM
Yep.... just dead coralline. Try to get your pH to between 8 and 8.3 and you'll see it color up nicely..... especially if you have high calcium (try to stay between 400ppm - 480ppm). However too high ca+ will inhibit its growth by affecting your Carbonate Hardness (dKH)..... by making it too high. Shoot for around 8-12 dKH.

If you can attain these numbers.... you will see the white begin to turn purple, pink, green (depending on the type of coralline) in a few short months. I experienced this when i started my last tank (november 2005) and my base rock is already becoming covered in different colors! Good luck. Might want to check out the Chemistry page for help getting your water to those params.... worked for me.