PDA

View Full Version : HOLY COW! What just spawned in my tanK??!!

TOURKID
04/12/2006, 07:24 PM
Ok,So I have my 1 watt lunar light on, and itsa been 'nighttime' for 1 hour and 45 minutes. I took a look and WOWWWW theres about a billion little THINGS darting around my tank. Can you please help me with any ideas what it could be from?? Heres a list of EVERYTHING I can think of in there, not much!!

cocapods
aphipods
1 anemone, BTA.. was no cloudyness in the tank,bta looks fine
2 hitchhiker crabs
6 astrea snails (3 just added 4 days ago)
hermits... about 15 or so, diff. varietes
bristle worms
speggetti worms and a few other varietes

thats it.
then..

moon polyps
yellow polyps
2 ricordias (just added last week)

I had 2 peppermint shrimps that were holding eggs when i bought them, but they died within a few days (either bad acclimation or a nitrate spike I had)

I caught a few in a cup, they kinda look like sperm. I couldent get a pic of them.

A grain of salt with a tail, grain looks red, can see two black eyes

I have a maroon clown but shes never had a mate and has been in QT for almost 3 weeks

I know they will just become coarl food but I dont see where they came from.

Do I have an unknown hitchhiker? My tanks been up 5 months, I did add 4 pounds of new cured LR from LFS last week.... This is so weird/cool

hope someone can enlighten me. Thanks :)

Mike 1911A1
04/12/2006, 08:04 PM
Copepods?

ERICinFL
04/12/2006, 08:14 PM
Try to get a pic.

Mr. Ugly
04/12/2006, 08:28 PM
I've had that happen with hermits and also with peppermint shrimps.

With the hermits, I could see the little babies swarming out from the parent's shell.

With the peppermints, the shrimps would swim around and do loops, and release babies.

TOURKID
04/12/2006, 08:32 PM
so hermits spawn lil swimming.. fish type things? thats crazy!!

eric.. maybe if i pull one out of the water and put in on a paper towel or somthing. I could tomorrow if / when (unfortunatly) they die

crazy :)

Anemone
04/12/2006, 09:18 PM
I'd bet hermits as well. Next time you notice the swarms, look for a hermit up on the rocks. If it's spawning, it will lift its shell up, then slam it down, expelling a cloud of larvae.

Odds are, they'll all be gone by morning.

FWIW,
Kevin

Sk8r
04/12/2006, 09:30 PM
Hermits. I've seen 'em do it. The result looks like a swarm of gnats.

hypermikie
04/12/2006, 09:41 PM
would definately like to see a pic....

cioutlaw
04/12/2006, 09:56 PM
I vote hermits..i had the same thing...captured some & took them to work & had the lab stick it under a microscope. Looked like a lil lobster with huge eyes. The fish love them..if they have full bellys in the morning you know what hapened the night before. ;)

TOURKID
04/13/2006, 05:16 AM
ciout.. i dont have any fish in the tank lol theres still some darting around this morning. I captured a few of em. Will take pictures when I get home from the gym :)