PDA

View Full Version : 1 inch acrylic and magnets - done

jnb
04/13/2006, 10:57 AM
I retired a glass 120 and now have 1 inch thick acrylic - even though I had it designed to accommodate the rail system for my two 6000 streams on a 7095 - I did not like the way the rails kept slipping into being at an angle and it made me uncomfortable to see the movement - so last night I installed the more powerful magnets and feel comfortable with any risk that this is precarious mount.

See the white plastic screws with wing nut to help the tunze not slip out of the angle I want , with the wingnuts, you do not need to hold the bottom nut if you ewant to unscrew and adjust the angle since it gets caught from turning too

- also with the 45 degree PVC installed which I painted with black and dark red permanent sharpies I have almost if not complete adjustment capabilities given that the magnets allow lots of angle, etc adjustment.

Since I used the PVC angles I did not need the extended mounts available which otherwise allow the stream to be adjusted to a more acute angle which brings the stream in and I think less pressure is applied to the possibility the magnets will shift positions then with the extended mount option.

I am almost completely confident that the streams will not fall away and doubt they will shift any either based on my preliminary observation. In this case it is important the stream wires are not positioned that they add additional nudging to the streams being out of place if you can understand this point.

This is, of course beyond tunze recommendation

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/49068IMG_0413.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/49068IMG_0414.JPG

kimoyo
04/16/2006, 04:57 AM
Thanks for trying this Nick!

Have you tried turning the tunze at an angle without using the elbows? Does it slip at all then?

jnb
04/17/2006, 04:49 AM
you are welcome - they are close to their angle limit but I did not try because I knew it would not be enough angle for my wants - so I can not really say - since I like things rock solid I will still be looking for a way to make them completely risk free - but they do not appear to have moved at all so far - if I was running the next powerful stream up - I am not so sure they would hold -

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7185997#post7185997 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kimoyo
Thanks for trying this Nick!

Have you tried turning the tunze at an angle without using the elbows? Does it slip at all then?

kimoyo
08/26/2006, 09:50 AM
Hey Nick,

Just wondering if this is still working for you? Thanks.