PDA

View Full Version : where to find a sump!

acroreef123
04/13/2006, 05:11 PM
I've looked everywhere for a quality, pre-made sump that will keep micro-bubbles out of my tank but to no avail. Dose anyone know where I can get one at a resonable price?

acroreef123

old salty
04/14/2006, 05:15 PM
I made my own from a fish tank, some acrylic, and aquarium sealant. Cost me about $100 for everything, and I have a fancy jigsaw to add to the tool collection.

5thtonbench
04/14/2006, 06:11 PM
There are a lot of them for sale in the used equipt section... its just all about catching someone close enough to you. Precision marine makes generic but very functional and quality sumps for a very reasonable price. They resell them through marine depot etc.

If you search for or find Melev, or go to melevsreef.com, you will be quite satisfied if you can work something out with him. From what I have seen, he doesnt just build sumps, he builds solutions catered to you.

I have built all my acrylic sumps, some excellent and some failures. My newest project, a 54 corner, is using a sump provided by target. Rubbermaid heavy duties are on sale right now :D Im fighting microbubbles too right now, but its not my sump's fault. Check out this thread, maybe it will help you.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=824209

JJ70
04/14/2006, 07:18 PM
I would seriously consider making one. I did using a 30L. I had a local glass shop cut the 1/4" glass baffles for $5 each. Total cost about $65.

I know melev had a great site with instructions.

dots
04/14/2006, 08:25 PM
I paid way too much for mine, which was premade. However, it was my first sump and didn't quite understand what was needed. So I bought one, and had to modify it as it was. In hindsight, I would find an old glass aquarium and baffle it yourself. I have even seen some people use plastic tubs or utility sinks to get the job done. Just a box to hold water is all it really is.

joedirt54
04/14/2006, 10:12 PM
I played with the idea of a custom plexi sump...but small tanks, glass baffels, and diamond hole saws for drilling bulkheads are way cheaper than plexi...1/4" cheap stuff is $40 for a 2'x2'!

janakaybravo
04/14/2006, 10:34 PM
Melev's Reef.com. He's in Fort Worth.

prugs
04/15/2006, 09:57 PM
Checkout your local goodwill stores for cheap tanks that you can mod.

janakaybravo
04/15/2006, 10:58 PM
I'll sell you my old sump and skimmer cheap. It's a wet/dry, 29 x 12 x 17, if it fits into your cabinet. I took out the bioballs and made it into a sump and it worked great for a year. Then I decided to have Marc build me one, which is huge, so I need to get rid of my old one. Let me know if you're interested.

acroreef123
04/16/2006, 12:38 PM
janakaybravo,

any pics, price?