PDA

View Full Version : PE Mysis vs Hikari Mysis size

cthetoy
04/14/2006, 12:44 AM
I was wondering the size of the Mysis shrimp between the Hikari and the PE brand. Are they smaller than an adult brine shrimp or larger?

Also which brand has the greatest amount of bulk mysis per ounce instead of water? I dont like the cubes because its half water and half shrimp.

falconut
04/14/2006, 05:24 AM
I'm not sure about the difference between the brands, but I prefer to use Hikari Mysis, which comes in cubes. I've tried some other brands and maybe it was the water isssue, but they didn't seam to have as many shrimp per piece as Hikari.

The mysis are larger than brine shrimp, about 1/4" for the whole ones. My fish love them.

143gadgets
04/14/2006, 08:05 AM
I use both of them. The Hikari is larger than brine and the PE mysis is larger than the Hikari. I mix them together so that large and small fish get a good meal.

moonpod
04/14/2006, 09:22 AM
PE are pretty big actually. They are about equally dense. The PE seems to need to be rinsed more IME than the Hikari.

Jeffie
04/14/2006, 09:53 AM
The nutrition of the PE mysis is unbeatable. A very good food for your fish.

duec22
04/14/2006, 10:05 AM
You can always make a trip up to Sacramento next weekend, go to the WMC (http://www.wmc2006.org) and meet the makers of PE in person.....sry I know shameless plug..
I use PE....I like it becuase it is easier to shave. I've only have a couple of small fish that wont eat the larger whole mysis, so I take a knife blade to the bar while frozen and just shave it into small particle food.