PDA

View Full Version : R.O. performence

hangles
04/14/2006, 06:27 AM
just got one of those units from e-bay and had the water checked. the TDS coming out of my faucet was 320 and the R.O. end is 90 is this good poor ect.?
thanks harold

boxfishpooalot
04/14/2006, 07:28 AM
i think its supposed to be zero! Tds stand for total dissolved solids after all. Whats dissolved?

RichConley
04/14/2006, 07:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7175288#post7175288 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by boxfishpooalot
i think its supposed to be zero! Tds stand for total dissolved solids after all. Whats dissolved?

Wrong. It shouldnt be 0 coming out of his RO. It should be low, but theres no way hes going to get the RO itself down to zero withouth having ridiculous waste ratios.

At 320, try to adjust the waste valve so that your TDS is down in the 20s, or lowe if you can afford to waste more water.

AZDesertRat
04/14/2006, 08:29 AM
Depending on the membrane you got you should be seeing anywhere from 90 to 98% rejection or removal. So you should be seeing between 6 and 32 out of the membrane. Lower is much better but I doubt with most ebay units you will ever see the 6. E- bay units are cheap for a reason and its that they skimp on quality. Personally I would return it and save up a couple more $$$ and purchase a high quality unit from someone like www.airwaterice.com, www.buckeyefieldsupply.com, www.purelyh2o.com, www.thefilterguys.biz or www.melevsreef.com .
All build units specifically tailored for reef enthusiasts and will turn out the best water you can get. Buckeye is right there in Ohio, if you are like me I try to keep my business local when possible.

smleee
04/14/2006, 08:38 AM
Do you have an RO or RO/DI unit? Most likely you don't have a Dow FilmTec membrane, but you still should be getting better than 90 tds as said.

eee

RichConley
04/14/2006, 08:47 AM
I've got an ebay unit, with about 80 TDS tap, and I'm getting 0 out of the RO. You should be down much lower.

Reefugee
04/14/2006, 08:58 AM
Are you running the carbon filter in the last stage? If you are, remove it. (I made the same mistake before and wondering why my tds was so high.) Also, if you don't have a DI filter, you'll still be in the 20ppm or 30 ppm.

Minh