PDA

View Full Version : Can a Kalk Reactor Really kill a tank.

pennyguy23
04/14/2006, 06:42 AM
I just ordered my Geo Kalk Reactor and I just noticed a few people saying you can kill a tank with a kalk reactor. How is that and can you give me few more inputs on what to do and what NOT to do. Thanks everyone

leoskee
04/14/2006, 06:58 AM
The reactor itself cant kill a tank but if something goes wrong with the amount of kalk that it is dispensing things can die. One of my first "tough lessons" in reef keeping was when I attempted to drip kalk into my tank from a 2 1/2 gallon tontainer (the ones used for spring water). I attached an air hose line to it and placed it above my tank in the back corner. I did not realize the speed of the drip or that the point of attachment was not completely sealed. To make a long story short I dumped 2 1/2 gls of kalk mix into my tank in less than an hour. When I got home my tank was cloudy. I didnt know what had happened until several hours later when I looked up and saw the empty container. I lost over half of my corals and several fish/inverts. The kalk caused the pH to become unstable.

fsn77
04/14/2006, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't worry so much. If properly maintained and you keep an eye out for things like leaks or overdosing, it's no more of a danger to your tank than any other piece of equimpent.

moonpod
04/14/2006, 12:10 PM
This is the deal. A kalk reactor keeps a ready reserve of very high pH water right? If for some reason, your autotopoff just keeps dumping water into your system ie it just keeps flowing, then it'll one dilute the water and two skyrocket the pH. You just have to have a good, reliable topoff.

pennyguy23
04/14/2006, 07:35 PM
Moonpod what would you use for a topoff system?

moonpod
04/14/2006, 07:48 PM
I use the tunze osmolator hooked up to a deltec solenoid to control my direct feed RO/DI. It is backed up by the IKS sensor with another solenoid (redhat?). I am thinking of wiring in the autotopoff.com system as triple redundancy. I am mildly paranoid. I'm not actually all that worried about the tunze failing but the solenoids.

alanscott
04/14/2006, 08:03 PM
I use a dosing pump from Aqua Medic. I did have one accident when I first set it up, and the dozing pump somehow created a vacuum and drained the entire contents of about 2 gallons of Kalk in tank. I lost a clam and a pulsing zenia. Since then , no other problems, and it works great. Yo ujust have to adjust it to compensate for evaporation levels changing with weather. Good luck. It does work realy well to stablilize ph at night.

foob
04/14/2006, 08:20 PM
Use an float valve and peristaltic pump, impossible to dump quickly.

pennyguy23
04/14/2006, 10:19 PM
I wish you were closer moonpod I'd have you come over and help me hook this thing up. :D