PDA

View Full Version : Filter Question

Eviltwinky
04/14/2006, 08:55 AM
I have a 55 gallon that I was using an Emperor Bio wheel filter on. Well, after 3 years it has died. I also have a Remora Pro skimmer running in the tank. Should I replace the filter? Will the skimmer be enough or do I really need the mechanical filtration from the Emperor filter? I have 2 false perc’s in the tank, mushrooms, star polyps, yellow polyps, candy cane, and an assortment of zoa’s. I really don’t want to put much more in the tank financially for I will be moving in another year and then plan on upgrading to a larger tank…a real tank….not this God awful box of water that the LFS guy talked me into…..but I do still luv my tank :)

kau_cinta_ku
04/14/2006, 09:04 AM
how much LR is in the tank?

Eviltwinky
04/14/2006, 09:50 AM
There is about 70 to 80 pounds of LR in the tank.

gnrlee
04/14/2006, 10:01 AM
How much water movement do you have in your tank? The LR does alot of your filtration in partnership with your skimmer. You do need good water movement around your LR. Powerheads? How many and what type? Do you also have anything to filter out phosphates that build up in your tank?

kau_cinta_ku
04/14/2006, 10:21 AM
with that ammount or rock i agree that and a skimmer will be all the filtration you should need.

WaterKeeper
04/14/2006, 10:29 AM
Same here Sam. A powerhead could be used if there are dead spots.

Oops

Hi Evil
[welcome]

Eviltwinky
04/14/2006, 12:17 PM
Cool - thanks for the info. I do have a powerhead in the tank that I could move around if I need to.

~Robin