PDA

View Full Version : Need help with problem PLEASE!

Rass
04/14/2006, 11:07 AM
Hi everybody, I have a 60 gallon reef tank with a CPR AqauFuge Pro. In the sump I had a HUGE ball of Chaeto growing and it was doing well. The tank has been set up for about 3 months and in the last couple of weeks I have noticed the chaeto seemed to be reducing in size rather than growing. Now it is drastically reduced. I have had these small things multiplying in my tank since the beginning, at first I thought they were some sort of abalone but someone on reef central said they were more likely Limpets. I have noticed that they were populating the sump as well and their numbers increasing coinsided with the decrease of my chaeto. Everything in the main tank is growing well, I have 14 different kinds of macroalgae growing in it along with some cuttings of soft and stony corals, tons of mushrooms, and a nice green Galaxea about the size of a baseball, and 3 large feather duster. The only other thing I am having trouble keeping is feather caulerpa which leads me to believe that these limpets prefer the finer algaes and are consuming it. Does anyone know about these things? Should I try to get rid of them? They seem to be harmless and my guess would be that they are beneficial but if I can't use chaeto in my sump, what else could I try for filtration purposes? If I got a Peacock Mantis it should gobble these things up right? Could be a cool form of population control!

graveyardworm
04/14/2006, 06:08 PM
How big are they and can you provide a picture?