PDA

View Full Version : My tri-zonal 29, plus fuge project

J-Ross
04/14/2006, 12:08 PM
Ok, so I've decided to go with this tri-zonal design, modified a bit to have some specific things I would like to have. The idea is to have a 'naturally filtered reef'. The basic theory for those of you that have not heard of it is this:

Much of the filtering done on the reefs, is done in the areas not seen. These areas vary, from between corals, to undersides of ledges, to deep in the reef. Conditions of lighting, and flow vary from place to place. Many of you have this simulated in your established tanks, as I've seen with Ed's. The reef structure, and mature rock have many of the organisms that I will have seperated. The tri-zonal creates dedicated area's, and tries to help proportion it.

The three areas are as such,

(30% Volume) The Cryptic Area, low light/low flow
-- This area will house sponges, and sea squirts

(20% Volume) Filter Feeder Zone, varied light/med-high flow
-- This area will have gorgonians, oysters, feather dusters

(50% Volume) Exposed Zone, High light/High flow
-- Corals, Fish, etc..

The system design uses a diffusion barrier made of black acrylic. This barrier has many smaller holes, and two large holes for fish to swim through. This along with temporary light blockers on the outside, creates a dedicated cryptic area. It is recommended to be bare bottom in the exposed/filter feeder zone, with a sand bed in the cryptic area to help with buffering. It is also recommended not to house organisms that will throw sand into the water column as it will block pores in the sponges and kill them.

With the barrier, and cryptic area on one end of the tank, in the middle is the filter feeder zone. The filter feeder zone is created as the sloping reef flat of the exposed zone comes to it's highest point, and creates a cliff/ledge a short distance away (20% volume) from the barrier. This area will get varied light, depending on depth, and a flow through pattern for the filter feeders. Two powerheads will be aimed in opposite directions from the filter feeder zone, over the reef flat in an angle to create circular flow to facilitate the filter feeders. Direction will be alternated, and turbulence created.

Ok, well there is the basic idea. I will be adding a refuge. With the fuge I am considering a tidal mangrove forest, along with macro. I'm also going to alter the substrate issue, I'm not sure about having a bare bottom. I would also like some things that will dig. Perhaps a larger grain size, or rubble bottom? More to come, and I will get a picture of the installed diffusion barrier today.

--Jason

J-Ross
04/14/2006, 04:42 PM
Ok, here is the pic of the tank with diffusion barrier installed. I put it in last night, and it still has a pretty strong odor. It does appear to be curing well though. Sorry for the quality, but I wanted to make sure the file size wasn't huge.

--Jason

http://jrmcg1.home.mindspring.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/tank_baffle.jpg

J-Ross
04/17/2006, 10:31 AM
My light, pumps, and air pump are on their way.. I went with MJ900's, and the 250w Hamilton, running on an icecap ballast. The tank is cured, washed, inside, and waiting to be filled.

Now comes my decision for rock, and where to get my cryptic critters from.

majestic sea life
04/17/2006, 10:33 AM
Good luck,

Sounds like an awsome tank. I love my hamilton 175watt 14k i got from mike.

Satori
04/18/2006, 11:58 PM
Looking good Jason. I still haven't looked up more information on this type of system, but I get the basic idea.
Keep us posted!

superman1013
04/20/2006, 12:50 PM
Cool, please keep us updated as you starting to populate the tank... Can't wait to see what its like when its all finished...

J-Ross
04/21/2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks guys,

I was planning on ordering my rock in the next few days, but now I've run into a problem.. My lighting parts came in, and as I was going to wire them, I suddenly remember that most of our outlets in this old house are NOT grounded. Now I am not sure what I am going to do--with a fishtank, 250w metal halide, and no ground. The only outlets that are grounded are in the dining room, kitchen & baths, none of which are appropriate places.

kscrimshaw
04/21/2006, 05:11 PM
Grounded outlets are VERY easy to install. We just had a bunch done in our new house, and our electrician did each one in about 5 minutes. Shouldn't cost you too much if you don't have an electrically-gifted buddy to help you out.

BonesCJ
04/21/2006, 05:41 PM
Another option are the 3 prong to 2 prong adapters you can get at home depot but I am not sure if thats something that should be done with all the pieces you have to hook up.

J-Ross
04/21/2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks Karen & Chris,

I had heard it wasn't too difficult to do, but what do they wire the ground to? Do they have to pound a grounding rod into the ground, or..?

I should have said that I do have the 3 prong outlets in my room, just that the ground is not hooked up to anything.. The receptacles got replaced when we painted my room. Normally I don't worry about it.. But yes, with a 250 watt high intensity light, and water around, I'm not thinking it's a good idea. Those adapters though are a neccessity around this house, I know we have a few :-P

Fat Surgeon
04/21/2006, 11:25 PM
J-Ross, Just ground the wire to the electrical box that the outlet screws into. A simple twist of the grounding wire somewhere on the box should do it. Just remember, you want the grounding wire to bleed off any excess or overload into something metal.

J-Ross
04/27/2006, 03:27 PM
Thank you all for the info, I still haven't done anything with the outlet.. Main reason being that nothing is labelled on the circuit breaker. Aren't old houses grand :rolleyes:

I did finish wiring the light, and tested it to make sure everything worked. Now I just have to mount it.

The tank is filled, and is cycling. Thanks to one of my new SV reefkeeping buddies, I scored a great deal on my rock. I have already noticed a brown bristleworm I believe. I'm tempted to take it out, but I don't know. I'm always talking about a natural system, but I don't want him to be a problem later.

I'm thinking maybe I should have gone with the MJ1200's. It also seems that getting the right flow pattern around the rock may be a little tricky. I'll have to do some playing around with it, and see how I fare.

Saltwater™.Az
04/28/2006, 12:48 AM
Good deal bro. If you need more LR, substrate, or some macro algae, you know where I'm at. Keep in touch on that tri too. I'd really like to know how that going to work for you and if it's worth a shot. Oh, if that 250 MH is to much for that tank, I'm going to part out that 72" MH HQI top of mine so I'll have a few 150 MH HQI for retrofit. I ordered a new set of 20Ks for the main display today.

Oh hey, what was that sponge tank deal you where talking about today?