PDA

View Full Version : Koran Angel Juv

captpete
04/15/2006, 08:14 AM
I purchased a Koran Angel about two weeks ago. He looked healthy when I purchased the fish. However, he had a spot, kind of a scrape behind his eye. And his fins got very jagged. All of my water perameters are good. And I was skimming... etc. His eye became clouded over. I started treating him with Melafix which actually started helping. The got clear and I thought he was on his way to being healed. However, the eye cloud is back very strong, fins aren't bad, but hes got a little bit of a fin issue in the fn right above his tail. He lays down on the rocks every now and then which looks really strange. He was itching the area against the rocks in the begining but I haven't seen him do that for awhile. Other than that he eats just fine. What can I do to help this fish without destroying my bio filter in this tank? Is Melafix not the course of treatment? Should I use something stronger? I'd like to see this fish live.

Thanks

Pete

leebca
04/15/2006, 08:26 AM
Pete,

My opinion is that you were duped into thinking that Melafix was a cure. I find it works well on freshwater fishes, but haven't really found any hard evidence it works on marine fishes.

The fact that your fish's cloudy eye went away could well not have anything to do with the Melafix. Certainly now you see that it isn't curing the condition. Melafix treats the water, not so much the fish. I think you should treat the fish for a bacterial infection.

Move the fish to a hospital tank and treat with an antibiotic. Use either a product containing NITROFURAZONE (in the product, Furan-2) or treat with Maracyn Two for Saltwater fishes.

During the fish's recovery you have to discover why your fish didn't heal on its own, which it should do if everything is right. Even though you've checked, you still may have a water quality issue; a tank that is too young; decaying matter in the tank; or a less-than-perfect diet. For food help check this out:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=785228

Follow the above recommendations for treating a sick fish and use the supplements along with beta glucan in the fish's foods.