PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Question - 2 wires to one??

guntercb
04/15/2006, 08:16 PM
I need some electrical help. I have some flouresence lights I need to connect. The end caps have two wires and I need to connect these two wires to the single wire out of the ballast. What is the best way to splice two wires to one wire?

The splice will be close to the top of the fish tank and I would prefer for it to be water resistant or even water proof. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

Hobster
04/15/2006, 08:52 PM
If you want to be able to take them apart, I would just wire nut/cap them and put a dab of silicone in the cap. On my boat I always try to solder and use heat shrink tubing. They sell grease cap wire nuts for sprinkler systems.

joelowrider
04/15/2006, 09:32 PM
wire nut them and then use a lot of electical tape

wbeavers
04/15/2006, 10:00 PM
Wire nut and silicone.

Fast Fred
04/16/2006, 06:14 AM
Forget about having to disassemble it. If that time ever comes, cut the wires close to the splice.

The best waterproof connection that I have found is by using insulated solderless connectors (crimps). After crimping, use either silicone or liquid electrical tape to seal the ends.

guntercb
04/16/2006, 07:03 AM
Everyone, Thanks. Sounds like I am going to get sme wire nuts and silcone.

Fred, If I use crimps I assume I put two wires in one side of the crimp and the other wire on the other side? Does it crimp ok with two wires on one side? Or do they have a special crimp connection for two wires going to one? I tried to search some electrical stores online, but I did not see much.

Thanks,
Chris

Fast Fred
04/16/2006, 07:54 AM
Not UL listed for this purpose, BUT, I would still do it. You can twist two wires together and insert them into one end of the butt connector, and insert one wire in the other. Just be sure to properly size the connector. Blues or yellows will probably both work. Blue preferably, but it might be tight getting 2 wires in one end. If you use the yellows, do this: With the wire that will be in the end of the connector by itself, strip double the amount, and fold it over (double it up) and insert it in the crimp that way. This will give you more 'meat' to grab onto.

Fl_seagull
04/16/2006, 07:58 AM
Crimping works on Stranded wire. If you are using solid wire, use wire nuts.

You can get butt splices.

Don't twist the wires together, it makes the crimp less reliable. If you are using a through splice put two wires in one side and double over the wire on the other side. If the wire pulls out after crimping, you are not crimping hard enough or you are using too big of splice.

guntercb
04/16/2006, 07:18 PM
Fast Fred and FL_seagull,

Thanks for the info.

Chris