PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP!! Cleaner Shrimp Gone Mad??!!

whalloper
04/15/2006, 09:42 PM
Hi everybody...

I moved a yellow tang from my small tank to the bigger one about a week ago. I noticed it looked like something was nipping its tail. At first I suspected a pair of damsels I have. I also have a royal gramma, thats it. As days went by the tang had more nips on his tail.

tonight, when the actinics were on, I saw my cleaner shrimp tugging very hard at the tangs tail. Absolutley hard enough to pull a bit off the tip. Ive seen cleaner shrimp clean many fish in the past. One saved my tang from ich in the past. This did not appear like the grooming behavior...this was agressive.

what confuses me is the tang wasnt in a hurry to get away. He is not as active when the actinics are on though. I feed my tank spirulina brine, mysis, green and purple algae, cyclopeeze and phyto ALL of which the cleaner shrimp eats, with the exception of phyto (too small for me to see obviously).

I am 99% sure the shrimp is the culprit....but I didnt think they would do that. Feedback?

smleee
04/15/2006, 10:07 PM
Is the Tang healthy? I have seen cleaner shrimp actually eat fish while they are still alive that are on their way out. Hopefully this is not the case.

eee

whalloper
04/15/2006, 10:11 PM
He is healthy, maybe a little stressed from the move, but eats like a pig

smleee
04/17/2006, 08:31 AM
How's the yellow guy?

eee