PDA

View Full Version : Will This Work?

flyingace2005
04/16/2006, 12:52 AM
I have an ich problem in my system. I am going to quarantine all of the fish and do hypo. The system is a 125 and a 75 with a 55gal sump. I am going to move all rock to the 125 and make the 75 independent for quarantine.
The fish are:
24" Snowflake eel
6" Hawaiian Black Trigger
4" Blueface angel
2-3" Fairy wrasses
2" whitespot grouper
2" undulate trigger (he is super aggressive and the 75 is his)

Questions:
How exactly do I go about doing hypo?
Should I hook up my 40watt UV to the 75gal?
Since the eel cant get ich should i just leave him in the 125 or do hypo as well?
Will all of these fish be ok in a 75gal together for a while?

Thanks in advance

leebca
04/16/2006, 09:12 AM
If the 75g has a substrate with worms, pods, and other inverts in it, the hypo will kill them, sending the 75 into a potential explosion in ammonia and nitrites. Other than this point, your plan will work.

It's too long to post here how to perform hyposalinity. Check this article:
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/hyposalinity.html
and the posted threads at the top of this Forum.

With regards to the above article:
I prefer to target a salinity of 11ppt to 12ppt (1.008 sp. gr.)
Water changes can be done on an 'as-needed' basis rather than regularly.
Waltch pH VERY closely! Hold it steady.
Instead of the article's recommend 30 days, leave the display system fishless for at least 8 weeks.

If your UV is rated to kill protozoa and you are going to run it at the proper flow rate to kill protozoa, then by all means, use it.

The eel can carry ich. It must also be treated.

If the fish have been together before, they should do well together again in the 75. If you're combining fishes from each aquarium together into the 75, those in the 75 may 'see' the new fishes as intruders. If nothing more than 'monkey bites' break out then that is okay. Be watchful for fights though. Provide hiding places for twice the number of fish you're going to house in the 75. If you change everything around in the 75, that should offset the regular inhabitants there enough to think they are in a new tank!

Good luck! :rollface:

flyingace2005
04/16/2006, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I moved all the fish to the 75 and put in some pvc pieces for hiding. I left the sand because I would think that it would do more harm to remove it. Do I just need to keep an eye on Amonia and Nitrates because I left the san in?

leebca
04/16/2006, 07:52 PM
Yes. Be prepared to do large and frequent water changes. Be sure to watch the pH of the water closely. Keep it steady.