PDA

View Full Version : All aqualight Pro Users.

Zoalander
04/16/2006, 03:21 PM
I'm getting ready to replace my bulbs (150 watters). I'm curious what bulbs you guys are using and how you like it. Thanks in advanced.

mr pink floyd
04/16/2006, 04:45 PM
i berl;ieve coralfe MH fixtures dont haev UV resistant glass, so yo uare restrichted to the coralife bulbs, but that may only be on the aquyalight advanced...

if not i hear phoenix and hamilton are good

wnutz
04/16/2006, 04:46 PM
i use aqualine 10k with sunpaq dual actinc compacts the color is great i love it.

wnutz
04/16/2006, 04:48 PM
they do have uv protective galss because the bulbs a double ended halides.

Zoalander
04/16/2006, 06:09 PM
See I've gotten mixed responses about the UV shield thats why I was asking what bulbs people are using.

wnutz, is the 10K too yellow or more white?

wnutz
04/16/2006, 06:40 PM
with the suppliment light it gives a nice light some people say they are a little yellowish but i dont think so with these ballast the light is white and the aqualine has a 13k par

Zoalander
04/16/2006, 09:20 PM
wnutz where did you get your bulbs form and did you acclimate your corals when you switched?

wnutz
04/16/2006, 09:36 PM
depending on how old ur other bulbs are but ya i raised the lights a coulpe of inches an shortened the time some then after a week i started returning everything back to normal after 2 weeks return back how u had it if ur bulbs are real old then put 2 layers of screen over the tank and remove 1 layer a week i get all my stuff fom marinedepot.com make sure u get the dual actinic u get all the flourescence out of ur coral

Zoalander
04/16/2006, 10:09 PM
Thank you so much for your help wnutz.

dots
04/16/2006, 10:34 PM
I switched mine about three weeks ago and wanted more blue than the 10k, I decided on the 14k phoenix 150's. After installing them, they were WAY blue more like what I would expect from 20k.

To remedy this I replaced one of my pc's with a hamilton "ice-white" bulb. I am totally happy with this combo. I placed the daylight pc in the back one, it lit up the upper rear of the tank better and balanced out the blues.

However, I did research a little and found a 10K BLV on reefgeek.com that is rated a 10k but is more like a 12K. I was tempted to try those, but since I already got the new Phoenix, I tried the cheaper route of replacing the PC and am very satisfied. I would even recommend that combo to you.

However, the bulb game is very hit and miss, it is hard to get the data for the 150's much less DE's that we have, so good luck and research carefully.-Doug

Zoalander
04/16/2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks Doug, the 10K BLV looks promising, I noticed that in the description it didn't say anything about needing UV protection like the other bulbs. I'm still unsure whether the glass shield is a UV shield or a just a splash gaurd.

Jayreefer
04/16/2006, 11:14 PM
All DE bulbs give off UV rays and yes it is a UV shield on the aqualights.

dots
04/16/2006, 11:25 PM
Yes it is a shield on that model. But if I remember, most glass is to some degree anyway.

Let me know how those work if you get them. If I had known what I do now, probably would have tried them myself, though I am quite happy after the pc change, so I will let them roll for now.