PDA

View Full Version : banded cat shark

jurecki
04/16/2006, 07:04 PM
my sailfin tang got ich about a month ago and i moved him to a seperate tank and while he was in there it looked like no other fish were effected. so i put the sailfin back in the tank around a week ago and the ich hasn't showed back up again, than this morning one on my black banded cat shark around 5 month old 7 inches was laying upside down on the sand breathing so i put some mysis shrimp by him and he flipped back over ate a couple than started swimming away and looked like he was fine. afterwards i checked on him about every 2 hrs and he was swimming and looked healthy. than around 7:00 i go to feed them and he was dead. my other banded shark which is about a month older and the same size is still doing fine and has been eating everyday. my sailfin and niger have been eating everyday to. my panther grouper usualy eats every 2 or 3 days and he hasn't ate in about 5-6 days. i was wondering if the ich could of possibley been on the dead shark and the grouper. for the past couple of days i have been looking the fish over in the morning when i turn the lights on but i couldn't see the ich on any of the fish

Unlikely_Hero
04/16/2006, 08:00 PM
I can't tell what it is, but I am almost completely sure it isn't ich. It takes longer than a couple of days for ich to kill a fish (I had a regal tang that had it for a week and a half before I could treat it properly) and if your tank had it, it would be visible on at least on of your inhabitants if not all.

Good luck with your grouper. Hope it isn't anything serious!

flyingace2005
04/16/2006, 08:36 PM
Sharks and rays cant get ich, so there has to be something else wrong. Have you checked your perameters?

NorthFace
04/16/2006, 11:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7189464#post7189464 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jurecki
my black banded cat shark around 5 month old 7 inches was laying upside down

That screams water quality and probably overstocking, to me.

Banded Cats are 7" - 9" when they hatch. For you to have one, 5 months later, that's still that size is a big problem. It should already be pushing 10"+.

What size tank are you talking about, what type of filtration and as flyingace2005 asked...what are your water specs?

stykthyn
04/17/2006, 12:15 AM
Sharks and rays cant get ich, so there has to be something else wrong. Have you checked your perameters?

who told you this? sharks and rays can and will get ich. remember in the home aquarium they are far more susceptible to disease than they would be in the wild.
offhand I would say your nitrates are real high. you have some real messy eaters in your tank. what size is it? post some parameters for us.

jurecki
04/17/2006, 05:08 AM
i have a 120 and i thought that would be big enough for about a year till i got a bigger tank but i guess not. the only thing a little high on my water perms is no3 which is about at 10-15. when the sharks were little 1-2 months old i fed them 2 times a day but now i am feeding them ounce a day should i be feeding them twice a day?. I only have 3 peices of live rock in the aquarium and he basicly has the whole bottom to swim is there a reason why he isn't growing at all?

stykthyn
04/17/2006, 05:22 AM
whatever it is there is something seriously wrong with your tank. do you have a grounding probe? the sharks may be stressed by some stray voltage, a lot of people ovrelook this when they by elasmobranchs. voltage may also be affecting your other fish as well. in all honesty though remove the shark and trade/sell it back to the LFS. when you have a bigger tank by all means try again. I would also do a series of water changes over the course of the next few days. clean water can fix a multitude of sins. just dont do/add anything else until you figure out what is wrong.

flyingace2005
04/17/2006, 10:22 AM
Since sharks and rays are cartilaginous they are resistant to ich. I would say the reason yours died was from stress and water quality. Cat sharks like to have many hiding spots for daytime hours. I would sugest that you get some more live rock to make caves and such.

jurecki
04/17/2006, 05:23 PM
i checked for stray voltage and there was 56 volts i started unplugging thigns to see what was increasing the voltage and i unplug the heater and the voltage droped to about 12 than i unplugged a second small pump i had and the voltage droped to about 7 those two where the main ones putting voltage in the tank and they were the only ones that weren't grounded right now i have about 7-8 volts and the only thing i have plugged in are 2 floursent lights and my main pump the lights are sitting about 7 inches above the tank and arn't touching the tank yet there still putting about 1-2 volts in and my main pump is only about 1-2 months old and it is putting 6 volts in. what is a safe voltage in the water for the fish. and whatother ways is there to decreasing the voltage?

mitzel
04/17/2006, 05:38 PM
Ok sharks can have issues with small "bugs" getting into their gills and causing them breathing problems .

The best way to deal with stray voltage is a ground probe. I can not stress this enough this is a must for all sharks and rays. YOu really should have one in any tank but sharks rays and tangs will need this to be healthy

jurecki
04/17/2006, 06:22 PM
i know for stray voltage u check the ground and to the water for my tank i have a power strip plugged in the way and i just plug for now my main pump and the lights when i check the ground from the wall to the tank i get a reading of around 2 volts put if check the ground from the power strip to the tank i get anywhere from 7-11 volts is the power strip bad or am i testing it wroung

stykthyn
04/17/2006, 10:18 PM
a grounding plug is around $20 and should be on every aquarium. is a must have on all my tanks. will help eliminate lateral line erosion in tangs, LPS and anemones benefit, and all my fish became less skiddish after I added it.

mitzel
04/17/2006, 11:10 PM
yep

for stray vlots you should test from water to the ground

jurecki
04/18/2006, 03:57 PM
i just went and bought a ground probe and with everything plugged in i went from 56 volts down to .90 and i was wondering if that was low enough not to effect the fish

mitzel
04/18/2006, 08:55 PM
well depending on how high tech your voltmeter is that could just be the error alowance . Some high dollar voltmeters have an alowance of +/- .1 the low quality they are the larger the +/- will be . how many times have you tested it ? try testing it a few times . each time clear the voltmeter by touching the leads together , also when you do that look to see what the meter reads .

saltywawa
01/16/2007, 07:11 PM
how do u check for stray voltage

Puffer Queen
01/17/2007, 08:59 AM
Sharks and rays CAN get ich and can carry ich. They are not as susceptible as other fish but the parasites can infect the gills.

Puffer Queen
01/17/2007, 09:20 AM
Sharks and rays CAN get ich and can carry ich. They are not as susceptible as other fish but the parasites can infect the gills.

Jordi Posner
11/23/2015, 01:31 PM
Plz Help. My new banded cat shark I got yesterday is on the sand bed and is breathing very lightly. I've nugged him slightly but no sign of movement. What's wrong? and if he's dead what can I do in order to prevent this when I buy a replacement?

Dmorty217
11/23/2015, 03:01 PM
Where did you get the shark from? How large? Have you check ammonia?

moriarty
11/23/2015, 06:30 PM
^^

The more information that we have about your system/shark, the more likely we will be to help you out :) As mentioned in an above post, have you checked for stray voltage in your tank?

krj-1168
12/28/2015, 09:55 PM
Also a newer thread could be more useful - since this one is about 8 years old.

But as Dmorty and moriarty stated - more information on the size and conditions of your system, as well as the size and age of your shark would be very helpful.

B91302
01/20/2016, 08:17 PM
Currently putting together a fish list for my 500g soon-to-be shark tank. Will these species be compatible together?

1 Coral Cat Banded Shark
1 Bamboo Shark
1 California Stingray
1 Blueline Grouper
1 Snowflake Eel

Will these inhabitants get along well? Thanks for your help!
-Brody:spin2: