PDA

View Full Version : large overflows

ebb
04/17/2006, 10:31 AM
I have a 240 reef ready with 2 1.5 inch overflows. These seem very large to me, I only want to have 800gph or so run through the sump, do I need to restrict these with ball valves or the like? Forgive me I have never had a reef ready tank with overflows like this. Seems that at that low of a return rate the tubes will be empty all the time being that that flow rate could far exceed the flow in the the overflow.

Maybe I just don't know how it works, can someone enlighten me?

WaterKeeper
04/17/2006, 10:48 AM
Hi Ebb,

Not exactly sure how you have things plumped. I take it you have weir boxes of some sort. You never direct flow directly to a top drilled overflow without a weir or you would drain the tank pretty fast and free it of unsuspecting fish. :eek1:

The main problem with two big of a drain line is noise and bubbles. You get more turbulence in a partly filled pipe and it induces air in the discharge. Here I'd use gate valves rather than ball valves as they have better control if you wish to restrict flow.

ebb
04/17/2006, 11:02 AM
I guess I have weir boxes, they are built into the inside of the tank. So you are suggesting gate valves just to keep noise down but not necessary otherwise? I was planning on using a durso standpipe there, which would prevent the siphon when the pump is off correct?

thanks

WaterKeeper
04/18/2006, 10:32 AM
It should help and with oversize plumbing the gate valves can be included with no loss of overall head in the system. They are also handy when doing maintenance.

Hop
04/18/2006, 10:42 AM
I have 1.5" and like them. For the 240, you should be able to do some tweaking. After messing with mine for a few months, they are totaly silent!

fareforce
04/18/2006, 11:22 AM
My 500gal that is being planned is going to have 4 - 1.5" drains. I think 2- 1.5" drain is fine.

WaterKeeper
04/18/2006, 06:55 PM
Me too. ;)

poppin_fresh
04/18/2006, 07:30 PM
Remember... an overflow, no matter how big it is will only drain = to what the return pump is pushing. The fact that yours can handle more than you want is not a bad thing, it will keep them quieter.

You might even find that 800gph is too much through the sump, depending on the equipment and setup in it.

Scuba_Dave
04/18/2006, 07:36 PM
I have (2) 1.5" drains on my 125g. I'm running a Iwaki 70 pushing just over 1400gph. The advantage of dual large drains is they can clog almost 1/2 way & still handle the flow.
Don't ask how I know this ;)
But a hint would be...if you are sitting down...and look up behind you at the tank....and the middle braces are under water
there IS a problem!!
Sooner or later I will complete the storage compartment beside the tank to hide the pipes & sound proof it
But before I do that I'm installing a larger sump, a smaller pump, and a 180g instead of the 125g

whatever you are pumping into the tank, is what will overflow & go down the drains