PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea Berlin Skimmer Making me go Bald

rustybucket145
04/17/2006, 02:59 PM
This skimmer is getting on my last nerve. I got it free from a friend who was moving to replace my SeaClone POS. Now a few months later It quit working so I pulled it out to clean it. I can't seem to get the internal 'air riser' tube out of the skimmer. I have been able to remove the outer tube that screws in. Does anyone know how to do this? If I can't remove it I can't clean it. I did as good as I could and it won't skim (not getting air). Also While I was looking for a schematic for this skimmer I came across a .pdf that talked about the 'venturi cone' and a special wrench that I needed to remove it. Where can I get one of these wrenches? Or can I use something else as a substitute?

I know this skimmer is crap but it has performed very well, until it quit working. It is rated for up to 400gal and I only have about 150gal. So it is way overrated for my tank, which should make it a better piece of crap, right? If someone knows of a better skimmer with the same relative footprint (approx. 8x8) I would consider looking at it. Space is at a PREMIUM under my tank. But I would rather keep the one I have and just learn how to clean it.

I don't want this to turn into a 'skimmer war' I just want someone with Berlin experience to tell/show me how to clean this thing.

Thanks

glaudds
04/17/2006, 04:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7194207#post7194207 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rustybucket145
I can't seem to get the internal 'air riser' tube out of the skimmer. I have been able to remove the outer tube that screws in. Does anyone know how to do this? If I can't remove it I can't clean it.
Thanks
From what I remember when I used to have this skimmer, is that the internal tube does not come out. Give the skimmer a good vinegar or weak acid soaking and spray the inside out with a hose.
I did as good as I could and it won't skim (not getting air).
Could be your venturi is clogged. You could clean it by removing the fitting the black hose goes into and cleaning out the port. hope that helps, good luck..

rustybucket145
04/17/2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks, Is there any way to get the venturi out without having the 'key'?

TangmanBC
04/17/2006, 04:14 PM
I have had two of these things , and know they are a pain, you have to adjust them constantly, go back to the guy that gave it to you and punch him in the nose! It wasn't a gift, it was a insult.
Honestly thought, joking aside , get a ASM or an Euroreef, you wont be disappointed

glaudds
04/17/2006, 04:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7194633#post7194633 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rustybucket145
Thanks, Is there any way to get the venturi out without having the 'key'?
You know I remember having some sort of cheap key with the skimmer but never using it. The fitting I was refering to can be removed with a crescent wrench.

afishyonados
04/17/2006, 04:18 PM
You can remove the venturi with a flathead screwdriver or butterknife. The air inlet has a tendency to clog with salt-creep. Be sure it is clean as well.

rustybucket145
04/17/2006, 04:23 PM
gotcha, I have removed the black plastic fitting before but never the venturi. I will give the screwdriver trick a try tomorrow morning. Thanks.

gillies
04/17/2006, 04:23 PM
If you decide to buy a new skimmer and space in the sump is a premium, check out the Tunze DOC 9010. Mine works great.

TangmanBC
04/17/2006, 04:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7194207#post7194207 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rustybucket145
This skimmer is getting on my last nerve. I got it free from a friend who was moving to replace my SeaClone POS. Now a few months later It quit working so I pulled it out to clean it. I can't seem to get the internal 'air riser' tube out of the skimmer. I have been able to remove the outer tube that screws in. Does anyone know how to do this?
It is just stuck,it's not glued in or any thing.

If I can't remove it I can't clean it. I did as good as I could and it won't skim (not getting air). Also While I was looking for a schematic for this skimmer I came across a .pdf that talked about the 'venturi cone' and a special wrench that I needed to remove it. Where can I get one of these wrenches? Or can I use something else as a substitute?

The cone is behind the inlet barb, if no air is gettig in the hose or the bent tube is probably plugged with calcium.

I know this skimmer is crap but it has performed very well, until it quit working. It is rated for up to 400gal and I only have about 150gal. So it is way overrated for my tank, which should make it a better piece of crap, right? If someone knows of a better skimmer with the same relative footprint (approx. 8x8) I would consider looking at it. Space is at a PREMIUM under my tank. But I would rather keep the one I have and just learn how to clean it.

You only think it performed well because you are comparing it to a Seaclone, An ASM will pull more crap out than you would have ever believe and without all the adjusting.

I don't want this to turn into a 'skimmer war' I just want someone with Berlin experience to tell/show me how to clean this thing.

Thanks

rustybucket145
04/17/2006, 04:47 PM
Tangman, I am not just comparing this skimmer to a Seaclone. I have seen other skimmers in action and believe me I know they are better. I'm not saying that they aren't. But I will say that when this skimmer was functioning properly it was pulling two cups of green crud every day (on a relatively light bio-load). Now I can't justify spending $700 on a new deltec or a little less on other brands when I feel that the skimmer I have does skim (maybee just not as much as higher end models) enough for my system to thrive and corals/fish/inhabitants to be happy and healthy. No nusiance algae and clear water. I know it takes some tinkering to get it to work properly and I accept that responsibility. I just didn't know how to properly clean it. Hopefully now that I better understand the venturi cone and how to get it out I will be able to get it to work again.

You say ASM, I am not familiar with that brand (I think) a google search only returned American Society of Metals? Could you post the entire name for me?

Like I said I am interested in looking at other skimmers but the ones that I have seen so far have a very large footprint and I just don't have room for that under my tank. If I could find one with the relatively same diminsions as the Berlin but a better skimmer I would definately consider a future purchase.

Wombat_101
04/17/2006, 07:42 PM
rustybucket145, I just replaced my RSB Classic Skimmer 2 weeks ago. It drove me nuts as well. I used it for about 5 years. The little inner cyclinder came out of mine, seems you need a vinegar bath. Also the large short round piece it sits in also moved on my skimmer. Hope this helps. Also a quick mod for this is to remove the little venturi and replace it with a 3/4 threaded venturi the threads into the inlet on the bottom of the skimmer. I believe Kent Marine makes the venturi, it helped make finer bubbles, nothing spectacular but better than the venturi from the factory.

rustybucket145
04/18/2006, 07:38 AM
Well thanks to all, I got it working again. There was a piece of hermit crab shell stuck in the venturi cone. How it got there? I haven't a clue. My skimmer is fed directly from the overflow of the display tank. So from what I figure, a hermit crab had to carry it all the way up the durso standpipe and drop it directly in the line of flow. Those sneaky little bastards!!!!

Wombat- I will check into the venturi cone from Kent, thanks

Well the skimmer is working its little heart out now already got about 1/2 cup of crud in the overflow container. Thanks to all who helped me figure out how to clean this 'thing'

rustybucket145
04/18/2006, 07:41 AM
Wombat, did the inner circle slide out of yours or did you have to unscrew something? There is a black plastic lip keeping mine from coming out. It is the same lip that the 'middle' acrylic tube slides/locks into. The middle tube is also the one that holds the skimmer cup. The inner tube is the one that I can't get out.

Burgman
04/18/2006, 10:48 AM
Hi,

I just replaced my Red Berlin and now have an ASM G3, works great. My ASM G3 takes about the same amount of space in my sump as the Berlin did. I have a 10 gallon sump. Very small snail shells seemed to get stuck in my venturi cone. Also the air intake that is threaded into the base would get clogged with calcium?
To help clean the air intake attach a piece of airline tubing and let it suck salt water for an hour or two, then let it suck a glass full of RO water. This would help but it would eventually clog up. I could not get the inner tube out of my skimmer but it looks like the black ring should unscrew and allow the inner tube to be removed. Mine would not. Good luck.

Dave

gobygoby
04/18/2006, 10:54 AM
IMHO,
i love berlin skimmers. They are great for smaller tanks. I wouldnt put on anything bigger then a 75 gal. I believe the recommended pump is a mag 5. I put a mag 7 on mine it it worked wonders. pulling a cup of skimmate out a week,. I also had the air line 100% wide open.

to clean the venturi I just used a paperclip. I dont recall ever taking the venturi off to clean.

and yes the small middle riser tube does come out...but not the base of it.

there you have it, my .02

gobygoby
04/18/2006, 10:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7198460#post7198460 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rustybucket145
Wombat, did the inner circle slide out of yours or did you have to unscrew something? There is a black plastic lip keeping mine from coming out. It is the same lip that the 'middle' acrylic tube slides/locks into. The middle tube is also the one that holds the skimmer cup. The inner tube is the one that I can't get out.
for me, this inner circle base does not come out, but I was able to remoce the small inner circle riser tube.

rustybucket145
04/18/2006, 12:00 PM
Why in the hell would they design a skimmer that cannot be fully taken apart to be cleaned???? Makes absolutely no sense!!!

gobygoby
04/18/2006, 12:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7199894#post7199894 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rustybucket145
Why in the hell would they design a skimmer that cannot be fully taken apart to be cleaned???? Makes absolutely no sense!!!

hope you never run across an oceanic skimmer :eek:

:D

Wombat_101
04/18/2006, 01:05 PM
rustybucket145, I believe it just came out. I can post a pick later. of all the pieces that come out. I still have the skimmer it just sits there empty now.

rustybucket145
04/18/2006, 01:41 PM
Thanks wombat_101, I would really appreciate that.

Wombat_101
04/18/2006, 07:25 PM
Here are the pics. I checked and it is a 3/4" Kent Marine Venturi Valve.

Look at both pics.

ftp://69.114.114.115/WebPics/RSB.JPG
ftp://69.114.114.115/WebPics/kentventuri.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.