PDA

View Full Version : How to repair a Rubbermaid stock container?

seantOH
04/17/2006, 06:56 PM
I have a problem with a hairline crack in my sump. My sump is made out of two 100 gallon plastic Rubbermaid stock containers plumbed together. One of these has developed a hairline crack that is now leaking water. Has anyone repaired one of these containers? I assume that there is a compond that is reef safe and will adhere permanetly to the plastic. Any one have any experience? Thanks in advance.

seantOH

Sparkysreef
04/17/2006, 08:35 PM
Is the crack just in the plastic or is it across the hole for a bulkhead?

poppin_fresh
04/17/2006, 08:39 PM
You can try emailing the Rubbermaid people. I have in the past and they got right back to me.

Good old silicone might work just fine.

seantOH
04/18/2006, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the replys. The crack is across the plastic and is not associated with the bulkhead. I tried silicone and it did not stick.

I am considering a 2 part epoxy but I am not sure which one. I have some Marinetex which is used for boat repairs. It seems to stick to the plastic but I am not sure if it is reef safe. Thanks and take care.

seantOH

HippieSmell
04/18/2006, 06:44 AM
I think all epoxy is reef safe (not 100% sure though). I've used a couple types from HD and also applied a marine epoxy directly under the water. Just turn your pumps off for a while as the epoxy sets because little bits can come loose and get into your pumps.

Sparkysreef
04/18/2006, 05:27 PM
I would rough up the sump before the repair so the epoxy will hold better.

marcusbigdady
04/18/2006, 06:22 PM
you can send it to me i'm in london,OH,then you will have no more problems........just joking try silicone

REEFKEEPA
04/18/2006, 06:27 PM
If its splitting I would strongly suggest that you swap it out with a new one. IMO It's not worth the risk of trying to patch something that might get worse.

phc567
04/18/2006, 07:11 PM
i would get a new one but if you really want to fix it. drain it, sand it , lay fiberglass mesh and resin on it. then your done. it will never crack in that spot again.

Lo0seR
04/18/2006, 08:18 PM
Try to find a place for a plastic welder to rent. It works great, comes with plastic weld sticks so the whole idea is to lay a bead like regular welding. It uses air with the hot metal element that combines to "weld plastic" works great.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=61&Page=1