PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing/Flow Question

LazyD
04/18/2006, 12:21 AM
Hey all, Ive got a question for all of you plumbing gurus. Heres my situation, I have an 85 Gallon Marineland tank thats drilled on the bottom, my intake is on the left and outlet on the right, the return pump is a mag 9.5. The stock intake was just an overflow with a cap and a little rigid airline that you could pull up or down to determine the water level in the sump and tank etc. After a while I realised it was a POS, it wasnt very consistent and also created a ton of air bubbles by sucking air in through the rigid airline. So I finally broke down and installed a ball valve on the intake coming into the sump and another after the return pump and I closed them each 1/4 turn. It works nicely because it no longer has the issue of tons of air bubbles being sucked in and it seems more consistent for now however since I cant exactly match the ball valve on the intake and the ball valve on the return I get to the point where the intake sucks air and is generally annoying. Can anyone make any suggestions for my system?

bertoni
04/18/2006, 12:49 AM
I think a search on Durso standpipes or Stockman standpipes might help. The DIY forum has information on these approaches.

LazyD
04/18/2006, 11:31 PM
Ive checked out the durso and stockman standpipes and im learning towards the stockman. I probably should have mentioned but my the intake and outlet pipes dont have acrylic corners around them like ive seen on other tanks, they are visible from the front of the tank. The problem with doing the stockman right now is I would have to drain my tank etc.

I was hoping for a solution that didnt require me to drain my tank, I have a sump with a bubble trap but with the amount of micro bubbles being sucked in by my intake there are obviously some bound to get through and they make it all the way to back to my display which is frustrating.

bertoni
04/19/2006, 01:28 AM
Sigh, I don't know enough about these devices yet to help much. I was hoping you could install the Durso as an extension on the current setup. You could take a look at the Hofer Gurgle Buster:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/domitron2/HGB/HGB.html