PDA

View Full Version : FOWLR question

fredflinstone
04/18/2006, 12:42 AM
Hi,

Can someone tell me if Coralife super skimmer for 100 gallons ans Jebo skimmer for 150 gallons are comparable. Jebo is half the price. Please let me know your experience. I dont want to spend too much.

Also can I have 55 lbs of live rock in a 100 G FOWLR with bioballs and carbon media?
How many watts per gallon is suggested for a 100G FOWLR?

thanks all

XtrmCHoPZ
04/18/2006, 12:53 AM
Go with the Coralife skimmer, so what if its a little more.....everything in this hobby that works better costs more! You'll be happier in the long run.

You can have as much live rock as you can fit into a 100 gallon if you want. It wont be effected by the bio balls or carbon at all. The more rock you have the better. I have two fish only tanks and run carbon all the time. Its very helpful especially if you have big eaters and mess makers like triggers and puffers.

Lighting for a FOWLR is pretty much up to personal preference. If you like it bright than do it bright. Just dont OVER do it. Most fish can handle bright lights but some like lions dont appreciate it that much. I would go with at least 100 watts though, or around 1 watt per gallon. Better with 2 though.

fredflinstone
04/18/2006, 10:14 AM
I dont want to go with just 55 lbs of rock and the rest just normal rock or decorative stuffs. Dont have that much money :( Is that ok?

littlemannin
04/18/2006, 10:21 AM
55 is a good start IMO. I started my 55 gal with abouth 3 lbs. and just added as I could afford. Every went fine. The cycle was long. You can use Live sand to.

fredflinstone
04/18/2006, 10:31 AM
I have some cource sand in there right now which is 2 inch thick. Can I use like 40 lbs of live sand on top of this substrate? Will the whole substrate in due course become live sand in few months time?

fredflinstone
04/18/2006, 10:32 AM
If I use just 55 lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand and add that 24 hour cycle bacteria, cna I introduce 2 chromis to cycle the tank in 2 week's time at least?

IslandCrow
04/18/2006, 10:50 AM
You can use live rock and live sand to seed dead rock and sand, so yes. If you're only doing 55 lbs of live rock for cost concerns, you could still add dead or homemade rock and it will eventually host the bacteria that makes it "live". The same will happen with the sand, but I believe it happens much faster. If I did it all over again, I would have only bought half the live sand that I did and used it to seed normal sand. . .of course, I'm still looking for someplace near where I live that sells Southdown or something equivalent.

fredflinstone
04/18/2006, 10:58 AM
Do you know where I can get some base rock? And what exactly is base rock? Will the bacteria start growing in aquarium ornamental rocks also?

Tate
04/18/2006, 11:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7199525#post7199525 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fredflinstone
Do you know where I can get some base rock? And what exactly is base rock? Will the bacteria start growing in aquarium ornamental rocks also?

Base rock is any regular rock that isn't "live". If you put base rock in a tank with live rock it will become covered with bacteria and living organisms over time. Porous rock with the most surface area works the best. I used some rocks from the lake shore just to take up space in a new tank. A year later they had tube worms and coralline all over them.