PDA

View Full Version : Easter Massacre !! Help

sidneybrooksjr
04/18/2006, 06:57 AM
I left to go outta town on friday morning. when i left all fish appeared healthy. I returned on sunday night w/ 13lbs of tonga rock. my buddy fed the fish one time on sat. On sunday i noticed that the harlequin and clown didn't eat.. i figured my buddy may have fed b 4 i returned. i put two powerheads in along w/ the new rock.. The next morning the clown and the harlequin were dead. However the blueline appears to be doing fine.

Water levels were ph 8.1 , nitrates 40, nitrites 0 , ammonia 0. the fish showed no physical signs of disease. Any suggestions

davocean
04/18/2006, 08:53 AM
That's a tough one without more info.
Maybe something your friend did or maybe coincidence.
Your nitrates are a bit high, but I don't think deadly, at least not to your fish.
Some kind of contaminate or parasite?
I would probably start with a decent water change, RO water, and work on getting nitrates down.
If you were about to add 2 powerheads could your circulation be too low?
What's your salinity, water temp, alkalinity?
You have a few decent size fish for that tank, maybe your friend overfed and you had an amonia spike?
Did you test amo immediately after?

Black Phantom
04/18/2006, 08:53 AM
Check your heater to see if it's fried and in the full on position.

r0bin
04/18/2006, 12:29 PM
40ppm nitrates would NOT have killed your fish.

Chrisrush
04/18/2006, 02:01 PM
Was the new rock cured prior to you putting it in the tank? How long has the tank been setup for?

Chris

sidneybrooksjr
04/18/2006, 03:37 PM
Yeah the rock was cured. The tank has been up about 2 1/2 months.

Recife
04/18/2006, 04:10 PM
When were those water levels you posted taken? As soon as you saw the fish dead?
Maybe the rock cause an ammonia spike?

sidneybrooksjr
04/18/2006, 06:04 PM
Paramaters were posted before and after i found the fish dead. Its strange. I noticed that the clown and the harlequin didn't eat before i put the rock in. i don't know. but the blue line is doing fine..

coops22
04/18/2006, 06:39 PM
This happened to my tank and it had stray voltage from a bad heater. Not enough to shock a person but killed all but one fish in the tank.

Scuba_Dave
04/18/2006, 07:29 PM
Were the powerheads new? Sometimes they have contaminiation form Mfg process.
I run them in warm water for a while 1st