PDA

View Full Version : Center Powerhead, Anyone?

cybrstarr
04/18/2006, 07:50 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has stuck a powerhead in the back (down) center of their tanks stacked up with their rocks? Wouldn't this eliminate the "Deadspots" that occur back there?
I was thinking about sticking my aq 802 back there with the reverse flow pointing at the bottom rocks, and the nozzle pointed towards the front of the tank so that I can find out if anything got stuck??? What do you guys think? Good or bad idea. I tried searching but got tired of reading....

Also, do any of you guys/gals use a filter along with your powerheads? I am planning on taking my round bio filter sponge off my powerheads, would you recomend that? Or will things get sucked up to the "INSTANT FISH GRIDER"? I am getting tired of looking at a artificial sponge in my tank and most of all tired of cleaning it.

Thanks

mpomfret
04/18/2006, 08:45 AM
I haven't tried this one, but have heard of others doing so. I also came across a thread in the Advanced topics forum where someone had use a reverse-flow UGF with a rubble bottom to keep detritus from accumulating between the rocks.

Matt

staninct
04/18/2006, 12:19 PM
I run two little Rio's in the back of my 20h, and they are pointed across the back - meaning I get flow behind, under and through the rockwork. It also creates a convection current around the outside of the tank (a la tornado). And the tank is great! LPS, polyps and zoos love it! I may try this in my 38g as my nitrates are a little elevated and I am guessing its detritus behind the rock.

cybrstarr
04/18/2006, 03:29 PM
Did your powerheads ever get clogged?

I am trying to put in my 75 with over 100lbs of rock, and don't want to remove and reconfigure if it gets clogged to clean it.

Also did any fish(or anything else) make it to the blender?

staninct
04/18/2006, 07:00 PM
No the rio have the whole bottom of the housing as a prefilter, so really tiny stuff goes right thru the impeller and hasnt caused any damage yet! No fish loss, no burned out motors, and I've had them running for a couple years (knock on wood) with no problems. No fish or inverts have gotten stuck.

cybrstarr
04/18/2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks staninct! I'm either gonna stick the 802 (reduce the flow of course), AC 30, or a MJ modded 1200, which do you think I should start with? Should I run 2 on each corner of the pile, or 1 in the center?

staninct
04/19/2006, 11:07 AM
I have one in the far corner and one in the middle...make sure the flow is consistent at the other end of the tank or you will run into sand "piling" problems that will block flow. I made sure to buttress the LR underneath with some rubble in case the sand gets blown away- this will prevent your rockwork from collapsing and causing you some serious problems (i.e. wet floor and dead tank!) Let me know how it turns out!