PDA

View Full Version : Temperature

FishingBob
04/18/2006, 08:57 AM
I was not happy with my corals so I upgraded my lighting to MH. I am now looking at the elevated temperature in my tank. What is an acceptable temperature range for corals? Are some corals more tolerant than others?

jgoodrich71
04/18/2006, 09:07 AM
It depends on the coral. A lot of SPS corals do not like high temps or even just changes in temps. I have found that soft and LPS corals are pretty resilient to temps as high as 85 deg. F. Any higher and they start not to do so well. I have had malfuntions that caused temp to be over 90. It was obvious they didn't like that.

FishingBob
04/18/2006, 09:27 AM
To keep your temperature below lets say 85 would it be possible to reduct the MH lights and let my T5's run longer? Another option is to schedule the MH to go on for two hours then off for two hours? Would this upset the coral life?

kau_cinta_ku
04/18/2006, 09:33 AM
i wouldn't do the on/off approch i would try maybe reducing the MH's a couple hours or also try putting a fan to blow accross the sump or tank. you will get more evaporation but it will reduce the temp.

jgoodrich71
04/18/2006, 09:34 AM
I run my VHOs for 12 hours and my halide for 6. Also put fans in the canopy that turn on with the halide.