PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ribbon Eel

jmontejo
04/18/2006, 10:40 AM
I wanted to get a Blue Ribbon eel for my tank and have heard they are very difficult to keep due to their eating habbits. Is this true or with patience can you get them to eat? Also are there any other negatives to this fish besides its ability to escape and difficulties to eat? Will it eat my other fish? Thanks!

jgoodrich71
04/18/2006, 10:44 AM
Maybe someone else has had different experience with them, but I have never heard anyone that has successfully kept one.

Sk8r
04/18/2006, 10:46 AM
Oh, I had a white one of that ilk that survived very nicely: it ate 300.00 worth of my fish, and seemed to be quite healthy. :) I'd say it's a creature that wants to hunt at night. It wants lots of rocks and prey to choose from.

jmontejo
04/18/2006, 10:46 AM
Is that the same for all ribbon eels such as the ghost eel or is that specific to the blue ribbon eel?

techigirl78
04/18/2006, 11:02 AM
I've seen some threads in the FO/Agressive forums about people keeping them successfully. Typically, the eels were housed in large aquariums with no other inhabitants to compete with the eels. I believe that one person did get 2 to eat prepared foods. If this is for your 35, I wouldn't recommend you trying at this time, but you could searching that forum for the threads.

jgoodrich71
04/18/2006, 11:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7199548#post7199548 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by techigirl78
I've seen some threads in the FO/Agressive forums about people keeping them successfully. Typically, the eels were housed in large aquariums with no other inhabitants to compete with the eels. I believe that one person did get 2 to eat prepared foods. If this is for your 35, I wouldn't recommend you trying at this time, but you could searching that forum for the threads.

Found it. You welcome.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=761501&highlight=Blue+Ribbon+Eel

Sk8r
04/18/2006, 11:20 AM
This was a ghost eel, indeed. But I think their habits are similar. Beautiful, but expensive....