PDA

View Full Version : Am I Ready for Reef Innitiation?

dime079
04/18/2006, 12:15 PM
Alright, I am new at this, but have the help of my dad who worked at a LFS for a few years back in the 70's (lol i know) and he had a 55g reef. I've read thru a few books and quite a few threads on here and still need to ask a few questions so I can get everything perfect. Heres my setup:

10g glass tank
20" 2x40 PC satellite
ac110 (fuge mod) w/ clip on coralife lamp
12lbs live rock
10lbs live sand
maxijet Model MP400

1) First of all does this sound about right as far as hardware goes? If anything needs to be different let me know before i start :)

2) Should I buy saltwater from the LFS or make it myself? since I will be curing my LR and cycling the tank for the first time.

3) Curing LR and cycling the tank, this can/should be done at the same time correct? Should i run the filter during this time?

4) What type of micro-algae to put into that size of a fuge, and how much LR rubble?

5) Clean up crew. When is the proper time to introduce a clean-up crew to the tank? 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 hermit crab, and a few snails? (will this be enough/too much?)

cant think of anything else at the moment. Any other helpful info would be much appreciated. IF this is a NANO thread please move it for me i guess ;) but I figured I am still technically a NOOB.

bertoni
04/18/2006, 12:28 PM
1) You'll need a heater and testing equipment. This article should help:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239848

2) I've heard varying reports on the quality of LFS water. I guess I'd mix my own, but I have a RO-DI filter to produce clean water. You'll want to buy such a unit or find a reliable source of clean water.

3) There's no real distinction between "cycling the tank" and "curing live rock" in this case, IMO. You may run the filter if you wish, but I would avoid using biological filter media in it, since they seem to cause higher nitrate levels in some tanks.

4) I don't know how big the refugium is, so I can't help much more. Chaetomorpha is probably the safest choice.

5) Once the tank has been ammonia-free for three weeks, you could add a cleanup crew. I don't think cleaner shrimp really count as cleanup crew, although they will eat leftover food. A few snails might do the job. I avoid hermit crabs because they are predatory.

dime079
04/18/2006, 06:09 PM
got the heater and tester, just didnt list it :) anyone else?

sttaylor
04/18/2006, 06:57 PM
I have had almost the same setup on my nightstand for two years. Take Bertoni's advice and you will be fine.

Scott