PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater Tank to Salt water tank

ClemsSC7
04/18/2006, 02:00 PM
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I hope I don't upset anyone by starting this thread but I didn't have time to read much more than the front page of threads before I must go. I'm hoping for some help along the way with my project. What I want to do right now is to clean my fresh water (55 Gallon) tank and remove everything from it to make it ready to begin transformation into a salt water tank. I want to maybe have some small coral, etc. but that is down the road right now. I would just like some help in making sure I don't clean my tank with anything that could be detremental to the salt water fish.
What should I clean up my old tank with? Right now it has no fish in it, it is still running fresh water through it, and it has rocks in it along with an undergravel water filter, two power heads, & two side mount filters. I will be removing all of these items but my main concern is making sure I scrub the tank down with something that doesn't hurt the future marine life. I might of re-stated my question a few times but hopefully you all can bare with me and help me along. I have been a freshwater tank fan for years and a salt water tank for longer. I have just now been able to stay stable in one place without moving yearly so I would like to pursue my first salt water experience with your help.
Thanks and I look forward to talking to everyone as often as I can in here.

-Jason

Paintbug
04/18/2006, 02:12 PM
clean the tank with a vinegar/water solution. maybe 50/50. then rinse it real good with FW. you should be good to go after that. have you ever dosed any copper meds in the tank? if so you may want to reconsider using the tank for SW.

HippieFish
04/18/2006, 02:12 PM
[welcome]

First question for you -- have you ever used copper in that tank?
Inverts are very sensitive to copper.

leveldrummer
04/18/2006, 02:37 PM
after the vinegar wash, let it sit and dry, wait untill you dont smell vinegar anymore. get rid of the ugf, unless you want a plennum under your sand. other people can explain what that is much better than i can.

ClemsSC7
04/18/2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the help guys,
The only meds I've ever used in the tank are the following and I've read on them and don't see copper anywhere listed as an ingredient.
QuICK Cure, Parasite Clear, Aqua Safe, Algae Destroyer Advanced, & Stress Coat

Paintbug
04/18/2006, 07:43 PM
should be fine then.

reefnetworth
04/20/2006, 03:35 AM
i converted a FW into SW only by removing exsiting H2o. in your case i would take the UGF and toss it. leave the PH's and any algae. turbo snails will do the trick. use the filters as well dont clean them either trust me this does work. remove the filter media pad. add H2o and salt and substrate of choice. i recommend arig-alive sand. (2-3") its not course or fine and will be exellent for a bio-field. let it run like this untill it cycles. then add turbo snails. i did this w/10g in Dec. and its still doing great. keep paremeters good w/calcium at 425-450. add LR and it will grow coralline in 3-4 weeks. i then started with feather duster and clowns for 1 week then add filter media w/charcoal. this will control bacteria. i dont use a protien skimmer and do H2o change of 10% weekly. never had a problem. lights are DIY w/420 & 460 actinic and 18,000 reef sun. coralline is red, purple, orange, light blue. some sponges, red and white. this is with Fiji LR about 12-14 lbs. good luck & REEF-ON!!!