PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 Year Old Tank, Major Hair Algae Outbreak

wglenn
04/18/2006, 02:35 PM
Hey guys,
Need a little advice, after a year and a half of doing great I have finally had my first outbreak of hair algae, it's bad.... I have been doing weekly water changes, skimming like crazy, and the stuff won't die, It's a coral only tank without any fish. Any tips?

Thanks!

mike89t
04/18/2006, 02:40 PM
Check the water you are using to make salt and topoff. Make sure it has Zero TDS.

wglenn
04/18/2006, 02:49 PM
I have a RO unit, do you think it could be a sign of needing to change cartridges? It's only been 8 months since I changed them.

bertoni
04/18/2006, 02:52 PM
A TDS meter is really the only way to check how well your filter is doing. The membrane should be okay, but the other cartridges might need to be replaced.

The alga (or algae) needs food to grow, so starving it out is the path I take, along with some manual pruning. You could consider reducing feeding, if appropriate, or try to outcompete the hair alga by growing and harvesting a macroalga. Better skimming might help, too. The iron-oxide-based phosphate removers are also worth considering.

a4twenty
04/18/2006, 04:03 PM
when did you last change your light bulbs?

8 months is fine for your RO membrane but they say to do the pre-filters every 6 months.

wglenn
04/18/2006, 04:08 PM
I have had them since February of last year.

bertoni
04/18/2006, 04:33 PM
If they're fluorescent, they might be due for a change. I replace my PC bulbs every year, and that's pushing it, IME.