PDA

View Full Version : Green Hair Algae must DIE!

dockmasterjc
04/18/2006, 06:28 PM
Help! All I see is green hair algae all over. My tank has been going for about 4 months and this algae problem is about 2 months in the making. When I first started the tank I used filtered tap water. Since then all my water changes have been with RO. I try to suck it up and last week I did a 15 gallon water change and took all the live rock out and scrubbed it with a tooth brush. My tank looked great for about a week and now the green hair algae has returned! I have a bunch of snails,hermits and a lawnmower blenny but nothing seems to help!. I don't feed much, just a little bit every other day for my 2 clownfish. How else can I rid my tank?:mad2:

Fast Fred
04/18/2006, 06:56 PM
What are you using for substrate? What size is the tank? What skimmer do you have? Amount and frequency of water changes?

dockmasterjc
04/18/2006, 07:04 PM
I change water about every 2 weeks, 10 galloons. I have a 46 gallon with about 40# LR, seio 600 ph, won brothers skimmer, t5 lights.

Daytymer
04/18/2006, 07:07 PM
Do you see the lawnmower blenny touching it at all? Interesting that he isn't taking care of it. Ever considered a Kole Tang? They are algae hogs. I have both in my tank and they cleared up a green hair algae outbreak in no time

dockmasterjc
04/18/2006, 07:17 PM
he doesn't touch it

REEFKEEPA
04/18/2006, 07:28 PM
sounds familiar. What salinity and temp are you running your tank at? Are you using RO DI for top off and salt mix?

dockmasterjc
04/18/2006, 09:06 PM
1.25 and 82 degrees

Jeepman3sk
04/19/2006, 02:50 PM
The reason the hair stuff grows in b/c you have alot of phosphate in the water. It sucks it all up so when you do the test for it, it gives you a false reading of 0. I am using a phosphate sponge right now and it is helping alot. I jsut threw on my HOB filter from my 10g tank and put the sponge in the back with on filters. It has been working out pretty well give it a try. I have my new tank just about done so I dont care if I win the battle the tank is coming down either way. I just want to see if this will work so I know in the future.

John Karavias
04/19/2006, 03:40 PM
Hey dockmaster,

Refer the thread of hair algae solved. I got a sea hare and it worked great. The biologic correction to any problem is the best if you can find one. Algae Blennies like coraline algae and green and brown algae, not always hair algae. Tangs a good but not after the hair algae has overtaken the tank and they are expensive