PDA

View Full Version : extruded acrylic question

windgod
04/18/2006, 06:31 PM
I got a deal on some extruded 1/4 inch and was planning on using it for sumps and frag tanks, in your professional opinion what would be the limit to safely build with top brace with this material

thanks
Rick

jimmyj7090
04/18/2006, 07:42 PM
I'm not a professional, but I would reccomend NOT using extruded material for anything that needs to be counted on not to leak, crack or otherwise have problems.

Someone else can probabally advise you in more detail, but I would not try to make a sump out of extruded material. Extruded is way cheaper than cast, but not equal.

shadofax69
04/19/2006, 11:03 AM
I have seen large holding tanks made of extruded acrylic and they have been leak free for ~15 years. Having said that if you do a quality job making the sump I do not think you will have a problem. Extruded material will take on a little bit of water and expand but if you have quality joints the tank should be able to take it.

DKreefkeepers
04/19/2006, 11:43 AM
extruded material like Acrylite FF is plenty good for most size sumps/aquariums I use it all the time when I build sumps and I have not had one leak EVER on a leak test when it was fresh out of the shop. You just flat out do not know what you are talking about if you say that extruded acrylic is not ok for any sort of water storage.

jimmyj7090
04/19/2006, 11:57 AM
I'm not arguing with anyone on this, that was my understanding. as I said others can probablly offer better advice.

MinibowMatt
04/19/2006, 03:24 PM
I have messed with, and researched both. I think the key to Extruded vs. Cell Cast is how much reinforcing it will need - or pressure it can take without. Thats why you use cast tube, as it is usually under pressure (reactors). Although, for (most) in sump skimmers I would use extruded (no pressure). For a 75g or less tank with appropriate bracing, 1/4" extruded is fine IMO...

Acrylics
04/19/2006, 03:30 PM
Extruded material is not the "ideal" material for aquaria or any other pressure vessel, a good quality cell cast would be recommended over extruded but for small sumps n such - extruded works, holds water, etc. You just need to be aware that it has lower stress tolerances so will craze long before cell cast, but if made well and proper thickness is used - will be fine for most smaller stuff :)

James

windgod
04/19/2006, 06:02 PM
i was thinking about a refugium 36 x 18 x 16 with a top and may partition and braces

Acrylics
04/19/2006, 07:36 PM
Sounds like it'll work just fine, have fun :)

James

jimmyj7090
04/19/2006, 08:56 PM
Sorry for the misleading post, I'm just learning, or at least trying to. :)

jk