PDA

View Full Version : Sea Urchin Info needed

jpeloveseoy
04/18/2006, 06:50 PM
Hi, I am new to salt water...fresh water for two years. I have a pink, short spined sea urchin. Today it secreted a white milk/glue colored substance from its back (Opposite side of the mouth). I am not sure that I have terminology. Does anyone know what this signifies??? Is it healthy??? Deal with reproduction??? I look forward to your help. Jen

Lpabsolute
04/18/2006, 07:27 PM
Bump

fareforce
04/18/2006, 08:17 PM
Well, if it is the same thing that my black spine urchins do... I guess it is a good sign. It signafies that it is eating. To me it sounds like it pooped.

bertoni
04/19/2006, 12:46 AM
[welcome]

You might also have seen a spawning, if the fluid dispersed into the water column.

jpeloveseoy
04/19/2006, 04:34 PM
bertoni, Yes it dispersed in the water.

Fareforce, thanks for the info.

Lpabsolute don't know what you meant. thanks though.

Kevinnap
04/19/2006, 05:32 PM
The bump you got was to keep your post in on the first page of the forum. It is a good thing as things tend to move quickly and your post could have gotten pushed to a back page rather quickly.

jpeloveseoy
04/19/2006, 06:57 PM
Thank you so much devinnap and lpabsolute

MBuck
04/20/2006, 07:21 AM
My blue tuxedo urchin did the same thing this weekend..got on top of my highest coral, and secreted a white material consistant with toothpaste...it dissipated into the water column...tried to get some pics, but they are blurry.
This process lasted about 6-8 minutes....it was really cool....figured it was Ok, it has been in there since Nov. 05, and have never had any trouble with it!! I just kept cheking on it...Too bad I don't have two, maybe I could've gotten babies???

bertoni
04/20/2006, 04:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7209029#post7209029 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kevinnap
The bump you got was to keep your post in on the first page of the forum. It is a good thing as things tend to move quickly and your post could have gotten pushed to a back page rather quickly.
Actually, bumping takes the post off the unanswered list, and probably delays responses.