PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Peppermint Shrimp & Cleaner Shrimp in 65 Gallon

JusJim
04/18/2006, 07:38 PM
Do Peppermint Shrimp pose any dangers towards corals or fish in a tank? I was thinking I read somewhere that they posed some danger, but I can't find anything that indicates they pose a danger at all.

Assuming they are safe how many Peppermint Shrimp, and how many Cleaner Shrimp can be kept in a 65 Gallon Tank?

fareforce
04/18/2006, 08:10 PM
I have 2 pepps, and 1 cleaner in my 55 reef. They are all happy and leave everything alone. I am adding a second cleaner also.

meco65
04/18/2006, 09:32 PM
Peppermint Shrimp love to eat Anemones, I had one for a few months and it never hurt any thing my Leather polyps xena all ok than i got a Condy anemone and he thought it was lunch I chased him off it 4 times in two min. and he was normaly shy. So i netted him and put him in a minnow bucket than into a 3 gal desk tank where he lives happly now.

Sk8r
04/18/2006, 10:44 PM
Only thing I ever had a shrimp bother was a highly agitated peppermint who pummeled my xenia and then went and ripped something small and white out of a pocillopora. Neither took any harm from it, nor did the peppermint. I have nanofish, a rabbit, lps, sps, and a handful of mushrooms.

fareforce
04/18/2006, 11:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7203702#post7203702 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by meco65
Peppermint Shrimp love to eat Anemones, I had one for a few months and it never hurt any thing my Leather polyps xena all ok than i got a Condy anemone and he thought it was lunch I chased him off it 4 times in two min. and he was normaly shy. So i netted him and put him in a minnow bucket than into a 3 gal desk tank where he lives happly now.

Are you sure it wasn't a camel back? Camel backs are commonly sold as peppermint's, but tend to be destructive. It could also be that you got a peppermint with some serious attitude!