PDA

View Full Version : %$#@! under-stand space issues!!!

bureau13
04/18/2006, 09:18 PM
OK, so I'm in the process of setting up the plumbing on my 240 bowfront, and I've hit a potential snag. I had planned on using a Sequence Dart as my return pump, feeding two return lines, a chiller and possibly including a loop for excess flow back to the sump, since the Dart has a LOT of flow for a return pump. I bought everything, but now that I'm trying to hook it all up...I don't think I have room! I put the bulkhead on my sump near one side of the end, so I could come up to an elbow and have the Dart sitting next to it, but its still going to push it back too far (I think...I'm going to get some more compact fittings and see but it doesn't look good). I saw somewhere where a guy had a Dart mounted vertically, but I don't think it was working very well. I have too much other stuff under there to run the Dart out straight without the elbow. I had actually bought a 2" double union ball valve to go between the sump and the Dart...not sure what I was thinking there, that's almost the same size as the pump!

Anyway...to make a long story short...if I have to go with a submersible return pump, do I need to go with a Mag 24? I like the idea of the Eheims, but I don't think a 1262 is enough flow, unless I use a separate pump for the chiller, etc. and apparently the 1264 is not available in the US. I became briefly excited by the Tunze Master Electronic Recirculation pump, but it can't be submerged in salt water. The Dart was nice and efficient, and had all the flow I would ever need and then some, plus I got a nice price on it. I should have known it was too good to actually work for me :mad2:

jds

worlds under
04/19/2006, 07:08 AM
ooopp's try a hydor pump I think they make em that big

Mr James
04/19/2006, 07:59 AM
Those submersable pumps are going to add a lot of heat to your tank. I would at all costs try to reconfigure the Dart into your set-up. I have a 4' tank and a 6' stand, just for that reason. If the tank isn't filled yet, maybe you would consider a new stand?!?

worlds under
04/19/2006, 08:44 AM
good call their's nothing I hate more than to bend over to look in my tank. my stand has 34 3/4 inches of space under it to make room for my 24inch custom skimmer. I might run my blue line 100 up right to make room thow.

tall stands (good)

Mr James
04/19/2006, 08:50 AM
My stand is also 36" tall with tons of room under for skimmers and elevated sumps.

compulou
04/19/2006, 10:25 AM
Hey Bureau,

I feel you dude. We're not so lucky here in Florida as our northern reef brothers as we cannot hide all of our equipment in a basement. Dig a few feet down here and you hit water so I had to fit everything in my stand. Needless to say it wasn't going to happen. So what I did might be able to help you....

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=165317&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

In this pic (look at the bottom of the pic where you can see my CL pump and skimmer on a shelf) you can see where I actually had to make a shelf and attach it to the back of my stand where I keep my CL pump and Skimmer. Wala....now everything fits...

bureau13
04/19/2006, 11:17 AM
Hmmm...an interesting idea! Getting a different stand is not an option for me, but...finding a way to put some stuff outside the stand? I'll have to think about that one, you may be on to something!

jds

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7206368#post7206368 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by compulou
Hey Bureau,

I feel you dude. We're not so lucky here in Florida as our northern reef brothers as we cannot hide all of our equipment in a basement. Dig a few feet down here and you hit water so I had to fit everything in my stand. Needless to say it wasn't going to happen. So what I did might be able to help you....

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=165317&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

In this pic (look at the bottom of the pic where you can see my CL pump and skimmer on a shelf) you can see where I actually had to make a shelf and attach it to the back of my stand where I keep my CL pump and Skimmer. Wala....now everything fits...

Mr James
04/19/2006, 12:40 PM
I had a picture of what I plan to do, but have lost it. I Googled a little bit and didn't find what I was looking for. Below is a picture of my tank and stand in the works, (that picture is a little old as I now have two doors under the tank!!). My plan was to build a stand that was longer than the tank and build a cabinet next to it for storage and such. You could add a cabinet nest to you tank and plumb through the side wall of your stand.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/7762rc_90g_day2.JPG

bureau13
04/20/2006, 07:29 AM
Are Hydors supposed to be better than Mag Drive pumps? I've seen them, but I don't know anything about them.

jds

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7205188#post7205188 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by worlds under
ooopp's try a hydor pump I think they make em that big

20 20
04/20/2006, 07:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7206368#post7206368 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by compulou
Hey Bureau,

Not to highjack the thread, but, compulou, I noticed that your input for your closed loop is hidden in your overflow. Does that effect the overflow to your sump in any way? I've been trying to figure out how to hide my closed loop input, and that looks like a great idea!

worlds under
04/20/2006, 07:57 AM
I had probably the smallest hydor pump theyever made ( forgot what model) but the out put was EXTREAMLY good. moved water around in a 55gal = to a maxijet 400 but was 1/3 the size. I have seen their 900gal/hr modeland it was smaller than the mag. as far as reliabilty I don't know for shure but I WOULD trust them to be at least as good if not better.

compulou
04/21/2006, 06:48 AM
Hey 2020,

I tried to be slick and hide the intake inside my megaflow but it turned out to me more trouble than it was worth. I ended up buying some black PVC, making like 200 holes in it and moved it inside the display. With my mag 7 and my Gen-X PCX-40 1190 it was just pulling tooooo much water into the megaflow causing the water level to rise too much, making too much noise. It would drop the water level in my sump too much. Like I said more trouble than it's worth...

20 20
04/21/2006, 08:38 AM
Thanks, glad I asked. Looked like a good idea, but I'm glad that you were the guinee pig on this! ;)

compulou
04/21/2006, 08:54 AM
NP, anytime. ;)