PDA

View Full Version : Sump Return, Attaching to Tank....

sean_w_mcgrath
04/19/2006, 06:55 AM
Ok, there is tons of information around on overflows and ways to plumb the water coming OUT of your display tank and into your sump......but I can't seem to find any information on how people are attaching their return lines to their tank.

I plan on using spaflex for most my return line, and was wondering the best way to keep it supported at the top of my tank and in the water. Got any pics?

gath2
04/19/2006, 08:57 AM
What is your return line hooked into? Mine go up and over the back of the tank and support themselves on the tank.

Do you have a hood or canopy or is this open top? You can also attach it to the canopy.

larryl
04/19/2006, 09:51 AM
I glued a PVC elbow to a PVC street elbow, it made a U-shape with a gap just the right size to fit over the rim of my tank. You could do the same with two regular elbows and a short piece of PVC between to make the gap any size you needed. The U hangs on the rim and supports the weight of the return line. You can put whatever you want on the inside as far as nozzles, T's, LocLine. etc., just make sure to drill a siphon break hole near or just below water level.

Larry

sean_w_mcgrath
04/19/2006, 11:38 AM
thanks for the responses guys. I picked up some PVC 90 degree elbows, and will do the hanging thing....

aaronpentz
04/19/2006, 03:00 PM
I use these sometimes. stick to anything flat and smooth really good and allow you to use a cable tie. Then your returns wont move around when they are just resting on the top rim of the tank. And they allow for easy removal.

aaronpentz
04/19/2006, 03:02 PM
Sorry forgot to post the link

http://www.cambridgeresources.com/cabletie_mounts.htm

dutt7
04/20/2006, 06:55 AM
i split my return using pvc and used 3 90 degree pieces to make it to where it can hang on the back of the tank. works well.