PDA

View Full Version : Can I add an anemone?

zmazza
04/19/2006, 10:31 AM
I have a 29 gallon with about 40 lbs of live / base rock. I have an extra container curing live rock right now. About 30-35 lbs worth. My 29 gallon has a 192 w fixture with 6700k bulbs above it.

It's got a maxijet 600 powerhead and a RENA XP2 running empty for flow.

Visitherm 150watt stealth heater is used for keeping the tank at 79-82 degrees.

I'm currently using tap water, but I'm hoping to get my RO filter within the next few months. Water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, <20 nitrate.

Tank mates include:

Pair of small ocellaris clowns
a small yellow watchman goby
and a very peaceful , small pair of yellow tail damsels that my friend was going to euthanize because he didn't want them anymore.

The tank is very peaceful and the fish all get along great.

I'm wondering if I could add an anemone of some kind? My wife has always wanted one, but at the same time, I want one that my clowns MIGHT have an opportunity to pair up with. I know it's a gamble, but if they we're to pair up with it, which anemone would it be, and could I house one? I'm also looking to put in a few corals when I finally get my RO filter.

On top of the anemone, I'm thinking about adding a coral banded shrimp to take care of a few bristleworms, and maybe a cleaner shrimp in the future.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

MiddletonMark
04/19/2006, 10:40 AM
I would add the anemone as the last creature you add ... likely even after the corals. IME, they can be sensitive, can do poorly in newer tanks ... and given they can outlive either of us, it is best to be sure you have everything `just exactly perfect' before adding it.

You could probably handle [IMO] a bubbletip anemone [aka BTA] without adding lights ... but light is just one factor.
I'd also look for a `clone' or a captive propagated one ... IME they've proven to thrive and be hardy in someone else's tank - something your average LFS anemone has not. Given you can find propagated BTA's in the rose color, greenish, etc ... I'd just be patient to get the tank just perfect, find the perfect clone - then add.

I'd strongly advise checking out the `Anemone and Clownfish' forum and the stickies there - doing a lot of research first.

Good luck with it :D

chip721
04/19/2006, 02:47 PM
How old/mature is your tank? One of the best things you can provide an anemone is a stable environment and your clowns can pair without an anemone. I have 2x29g's, both over a year old. One has a BTA with just 96w of T5's. The other has a RBTA with 150w MH. The BTA under the T5's put its foot down day one and hasn't moved since. The RBTA under MH roamed my tank for weeks before it finally settled down. IMO I'd complete your planned changes first i.e. more live rock, and let things settle. Adding more rock could trigger an NH4 spike. You don't mention a skimmer. IMO your proposed bio-load for a 29g and no skimmer is getting on the edge. I got my first BTA after about 6 months and in all honesty that's considered way too soon for a new tank. I'd advise an anemone only if ... you're through making changes, your tank parameters are stable, you start with a healthty creature, and stay on top of water changes. Otherwise be patient and wait. Your clowns will be fine. Good luck.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c154/chip721/RBTA2.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c154/chip721/BTA.jpg

ANNIESREEF
04/19/2006, 02:58 PM
nice tank chip!!! is that blue sponge or coralline on bottom pic above the candy canes?

Ti
04/19/2006, 03:50 PM
nice

chip721
04/19/2006, 06:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7208093#post7208093 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ANNIESREEF
nice tank chip!!! is that blue sponge or coralline on bottom pic above the candy canes? Thanks. I'm not sure what the blue stuff is (smile). It doesn't have the raised appearance of sponge. I knocked that rock over not long ago. That edge was against other rock and when I repositioned it, the blue showed up.

TOURKID
04/19/2006, 07:01 PM
i would get the anemone before corals.. they move around at first and can tend to damage things

alanscott
04/19/2006, 09:55 PM
Get the rodi first, as they are very sensitve to impurities in the water as well.