PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to breed clown's

ej1698
04/19/2006, 11:30 AM
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to know if it is really hard to breed clowns, I was thinking of setting up a tank to try it out. Never tried and could use some good advice/ direction.

Thanks for any help
EJ

Oaktonreef
04/19/2006, 11:39 AM
Getting them to breed is not the issue...keeping the spawn alive is the issue.

ej1698
04/19/2006, 11:45 AM
what's so hard on keeping them alive?

Nu2SW
04/19/2006, 11:57 AM
If you do you wanna keep the parents our of the tank, they might eat the spawn.

And you will have to find some sort of plankton or small enough brine for them to eat.

reeferkid
04/19/2006, 12:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7206859#post7206859 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ej1698
what's so hard on keeping them alive?

they need really really tiny food such as rotifers because baby brineshrimp are too big for them, to culture the rotifers you need a continuous supply of live phytoplankton with wich to feed the rotifers and several cultures of rotifers so that if one culture crashes (as they frequently do) you have some back up cultures. wich is why they are hard to raise but as long as you can culture the rotifers to feed the clowns for the first few days then you should be able to raise them but do a lot of research before you even contemplate trying to raise them.

4MB
04/19/2006, 12:11 PM
There's a book by Joyce D. Wilkerson with anything you want to know about clownfish. Ive read most of it for a marine bio class. And is the reason why I have two little clowns myself now.

Theres a whole section on breeding. Then about the larvae stage and metamorphasis stage and so on. Glad mine are little so I have time to do more research about it (also hoping that technology moves a head some to help also).

mpomfret
04/19/2006, 02:21 PM
Check out www.marshreef.com Under bulletin boards > propagation and breeding forum, there is an article on raising clownfish. I got my 2 clowns from the woman that wrote the article. So far they are happy and healthy.

Matt

Ti
04/19/2006, 03:51 PM
Can't the young eat cyclopeeze