PDA

View Full Version : Can extra megaflow be a CL?

ambaratur
04/19/2006, 11:47 AM
I am currently planning a 90 Gal FOWLR with hopes of someday keeping softies and LPS corals as well.

I was toying with the idea of ordering a dual megaflow for the 90 AGA.

Would it be possible to use 1 of the overflows for the sump and the other one for a closed loop?

I have never had an overflow system before so I have not been able to figure out if you can hook up a pump to suck water from the 1" drain and pump it back in - will it just be sucking air at times? It would be my intention to return the water through a homemade manifold at the top of the tank with 4-6 outlets using the flextube.

Sorry for the silly question - but I am new at this and of course can not experiment at this time... :)

Thanks,
Amb

rickh
04/19/2006, 12:35 PM
Careful--the MagaFlow is big--about 12" x 6". They take up a lot of room. R

ambaratur
04/19/2006, 04:17 PM
Good point - do you think I would be better off just going over the back for the closed loop intake etc?

phc567
04/19/2006, 04:24 PM
tagging along

kraze3
04/19/2006, 05:35 PM
I think youd be better off going over the back of the tank. No powerheads especially something 12 x 6. Ive seen lots of tanks with CLs and im planning one out for my 75, hopefully ill get it done soon. My vote, go for the CL.

techreef
04/20/2006, 10:43 AM
I too am putting together a 90G setup w/ a 30G sump/refugium. My RR 90G tank only has one Megaflow, with the 1" and 3/4" holes drilled in the bottom. I've been reading up on CLs, and like every other topic in this hobby, the more you read, the more confusing it gets. I'd like to avoid using powerheads in the display if possible, as I just don't want to have to worry much at all about animals getting stuck onto the intakes. Originally i was thinking of using my sump as the source for my CL pump, but there's no way my overflow will drain enough water to supply both my skimmer and the CL pump w/ sufficient water. I'd much rather not drill my 90G tank for the CL. I'd love to see more diagrams of CL setups that suck water from the display tank.

jgoodrich71
04/20/2006, 10:49 AM
The first problem I see with this, is that both overflows will be at the same height. There would be no way to allow enough water to flow for the closed loop while still allowing the other side to drain. If you were to drill a hole in the wier of the closed loop side, so that the closed loop would always be lower than the other side, then yes, that would probably work. Or you could just remove the wier and just utilize the existing holes.

MCary
04/20/2006, 12:05 PM
You cannot use your sump as a source of a closed loop. By doing so you have an open loop. You also cannot go over the back unless you have a self priming pump. You absolutely can use one of the holes from your megaflow, just remove the standpipe.

Mike