PDA

View Full Version : Urchin Protein Skimmer. Help please

cantfindnemo
04/19/2006, 11:53 AM
I am thinking about changing out my seaclone skimmer to an AquaC Urchin Pro Protein Skimmer for my 46gal bow front. My question is can I set it up where the Urchin sucks the water out of the tank directly so it goes to the skimmer first, then pump it back in with another pump to avoid using an overflow box? Would I just need to make sure that the pump taking the water out is the same as the one putting it in? I need to avoid an overflow box because I have no room for one.

Also can you give me your opinion on theAquaC Urchin Pro Protein Skimmer? This is the first protein skimmer I bought for my 150gal but I turned my 150 into a freshwater tank so I am not using it right now. Is the Urchin better than the seaclone?

bertoni
04/19/2006, 12:51 PM
I'm not fond of SeaClones given what I've read about them. The Urchin skimmer is for in-sump use, and I don't think you're going to be able to use it very well directly in the tank. You could consider getting a hang-on Remora model for that.

cantfindnemo
04/19/2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the reply

I'm not going to use it directly in the tank I was going to run pvc from the tank to the pump on the skimmer located in a 10 gal underneath, do you no if that would work?

Kevinnap
04/19/2006, 01:40 PM
no, it won't work.
The urchin is a good skimmer, but I don't think it will work in this application.
there is on outflow pipe on the urchin, just a hole on the side. If you put the pump in the tank, I don't think you would have enough head pressure by the time it got to the skimmer to skim anything.

cantfindnemo
04/19/2006, 01:55 PM
The skimmer is going to be placed in a sump underneath my tank, I was going to run pvc from the aquarium to the pump conected to the skimmer, let it run threw the skimmer and use another pump to pump it back it in to the tank.

BTTRFLYGRL
04/19/2006, 03:04 PM
Lifereef sells Slimline overflows..I made the mistake of setting one of my tanks too close to the wall and normal overflows would not fit. Lifereef might work if you had to get one

http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html

bertoni
04/19/2006, 04:48 PM
I would just run the line from the aquarium into the sump. The setup you're suggesting is much like a recirculating skimmer design, but I'm not convinced that the Remora will work well that way without some rework. I am not convinced the venturi will work properly, as one concern.