PDA

View Full Version : LR Curing Question

affan
04/19/2006, 12:13 PM
I've had 90 lbs of LR sitting in a 55 gallon tank with a powerhead and 2 power filters for about 3 weeks. After the first week, I took out the rock and scrubbed it vigorously and then sprayed it with freshwater. Then dumped it all back into the tank. I've been changing water in that tank every 5th day. My question is, is it safe now to add the LR to the display tank or do I need to wait longer?

guitar_lord
04/19/2006, 12:18 PM
It would be safe once the Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates are 0
There is going to be a lot of die off, if its uncured rock so you want all that to die off in the seperate tank and then add it once the die off has occured.

If there is still growth dying off, then you wouldnt want to add that to your display yet.

Have you been testing the water parameters?
What are they?

affan
04/19/2006, 12:22 PM
When I last checked the parameters day before yesterday the Ammonia and nitrates were high. I don't have the exact numbers as I am at work and the exact parameters I jotted down in a logbook. Last night, most of the rock looked like it had lost all coralline growth, but had several bleached spots still.

guitar_lord
04/19/2006, 12:24 PM
have you done water changes in that tank at all?

affan
04/19/2006, 12:28 PM
Yeah, so far there's been 3 water changes. 20 percent every time.

guitar_lord
04/19/2006, 12:37 PM
I dont think its ready for the display tank yet, if its giving off Ammonia... keep up with your water changes. Ammonia should be undetectable before you add it... Id still be a bit concerned with high Nitrites after the ammonia goes down

It probably wouldnt kill anything if you put it in the display now, (assuming your display is a lot larger then 55 gallons) but that would definately affect your water quality and if you have lots of inhibitants in the tank it would be worth waiting

just my $.02

affan
04/19/2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the input Brian. In your opinion, how long do you think it'll be before the ammonia and nitrates are undetectable? I am obviously not a very patient person lol

guitar_lord
04/19/2006, 01:45 PM
I just cured some live rock myself for my tank.
Mine was cured in 2 weeks (But it was only about 10lbs)
Curing 90lbs might take a while longer...

If I had to guess I would guess 4-6 weeks maybe?

Nu2SW
04/19/2006, 01:49 PM
I thought scrubbing it and washing it in FW would kill all the little critters on it?

guitar_lord
04/19/2006, 02:00 PM
I wouldnt wash it in FW or scrubb it, but on the other hand if you're impatient that sure would speed up the process :)

affan
04/19/2006, 09:20 PM
As of now:

Ammonia 0.50
Nitrate 80
Nitrite 5.0

I guess another water change is in order.

andiruleu
04/19/2006, 09:27 PM
i just dumped all my uncured live rock in my tank.. and now its been about a month and some days... i hae coral and some fish thats doing fine.. it just left a mess on the live sand... so i just bought more live sand after awhile and dumped it over the die off... i took some out tho..

affan
04/19/2006, 09:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7210669#post7210669 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by andiruleu
i just dumped all my uncured live rock in my tank.. and now its been about a month and some days... i hae coral and some fish thats doing fine.. it just left a mess on the live sand... so i just bought more live sand after awhile and dumped it over the die off... i took some out tho..

I've seen some of your other posts, and you sound like a person with a real adventerous spirit when it comes to things like acclimation etc, lol. I am glad it worked out for you, but that's the kind of risk I am unwilling to take with a tank in which I've invested thousands of dollars, countless days, and all of my heart.