PDA

View Full Version : 5 inch bristle worm

Crit21
04/19/2006, 12:52 PM
Can a 5 inch bristle worm do any damage?

castorpollux
04/19/2006, 01:15 PM
not unless you eat it....

Leopard Wrasse
04/19/2006, 01:16 PM
Or try to pick it up with you hands.....

Crit21
04/19/2006, 01:53 PM
That's too much to remember. I suppose it's also bad if I go bobbing for it too? Wonderful.

murfman
04/20/2006, 06:56 AM
my seahorse tank has BWs in it and they just eat food that falls to the bottom. If you want to catch them, take a wadded up ball of nylon stocking and put some shrimp in it, they get caught up in the webbing and you can remove the. I found some in my cheato, in the SH tank and moved it to my main tank fuge

Crit21
04/20/2006, 09:31 AM
I don't mind the small ones. This one is so big it's scary.

PSEUDOREEFER
04/20/2006, 04:00 PM
I just accidently grabbed a big one under a shell today (ouchies). I couldn't really feel the bristles so I didn't notice until I turned the shell over and saw my finger on a 5ish inch BW :lol: The best way to get the bristled out is to let you hand dry and cover the spot w/super glue. Then you can just peel off the super glue (if you're really patient and don't want to loose any skin, then elmers works too) bristles and all :)

Crit21
04/20/2006, 05:40 PM
Just what did it feel like when it happened and then after a while?

PSEUDOREEFER
04/21/2006, 11:22 AM
Supposedly certain bristle worms have a stinging effect (fire worms), but even with those I don't feel anything (I've been stung so many times by corals and anemones that the stings don't really effect me anymore). If you notice you have bristles on your hand you can get tweesers and get them out right away, but if you don't notice (it's hard to feel the bristles going into your hand - they're really tiny) and they stay in for a while, they can work their way into your skin, and you may get a rash. If you've ever accidently grabbed fiberglass insulation the itching is very similar.