PDA

View Full Version : walmart

angelsj247
04/19/2006, 03:40 PM
the walmart by me does not sell any fish stuff anymore.. do they have online fish products anyone know??

angelsj247
04/19/2006, 03:48 PM
nm i finally found it online..

goda
04/19/2006, 04:09 PM
uhhhh why support wall marts fish section they are respoisiable for thousands of fish deaths per year per store... at least they dont do salt water!

same guy that cleans the toilets helps people put goldfish and tetra in the same tank..... basicaly to sum it up walmart is evil even there food section. i hate them more then anything. when they opend the new super center in my area MANY ma and pop stores disapeared.. later you see the owners working at walmart for 7 bucks an hour....... DOWN WITH WALMART!

hooker18
04/19/2006, 06:06 PM
I second that. They also buy products at lowest cost possible and that usually consists of goods made overseas by little people that make $2.15 a day. DOWN WITH WALMART!! Nike (the evil swoosh) as well.

alanscott
04/19/2006, 06:14 PM
then tanks in our town are pretty dirty and they do not take care of the fish at all. I would not support them either.

jus10kase
04/19/2006, 06:18 PM
I won`t buy anything, anything! there either.

jim293
04/19/2006, 07:09 PM
I do not buy nothing there either. Unfortunatly WalMart probabaly hires some one right off the street that has no experience with fish what so ever.

ipiniowa
04/19/2006, 07:24 PM
Along with the fact that Walmart brings down the mom and pop stores, they also work most of their employees just long enough so that the employee qualifies for state and federal benefits. Food stamps, subsidized housing, etc... Then they point the employee in the right direction to get their government benefits that they have the right to. A bunch of liberals that think the government should give you everything on a silver plater.

ej1698
04/19/2006, 07:26 PM
stay away from walmart...support your local MOM & POP store!!

goda
04/19/2006, 07:28 PM
has nothing to do with liberals. i think its conservitives trying to save there own cash :P .... how about no politics just facts.. walmart works the people way to hard for far to little.and usualy works them for 39 hours a week so they dont even qualify as full time.. im done with this till it pops up in the lounge or what ever the non reef area is called

Fast Fred
04/19/2006, 07:53 PM
Last time I checked, nobody was forcing the Wal-Mart employees to work there. They do so because they want to. They are as free as anyone to work somewhere else. It's simlpy refered to as a free market society. You make what you're worth. If you are worth more, and the employer work pay you more, then find an employer who will.

goda
04/19/2006, 07:55 PM
but did you read... they put store owners out of bussiness and now have a monopoly of products so that no one else can profit forcing the others out of bussiness so you have to go to them if you want work... them or a nother big company . or work with the lawn maintance people.

kuplo
04/19/2006, 08:05 PM
In the last year since Walmart opened one of their super stores in my area, the only place that has gone out of business was another walmart in the next city over (we have 4 or 5 or so cities in a row). So when they opened their superstore they closed the regular walmart in the next city over. All the mom and pop stores that were here are still here. I think you need to think about whom shops at walmart to begin with. Usually people that also shop target (still open in my area), and Kmart (still open in a neighbor city) etc. etc. etc.

Im not for or against walmart. I dont shop walmart because they dont carry anything I want, more of less junk stuff and I've found in the past 45 years of life, that you get what you pay for. And walmart stuff is throwaway stuff. You use it for a couple years at most, then throw it away and buy something new. Compared to buying quality stuff to begin with, that you keep for 10 or more years.

The people that worked in the local regular walmart are all highschool kids (have no experience so it makes sence that they earn minimum wage), or retirees. The only middleage people they may have are the management. So to me it seems like a good deal that the highschoolers at least have someplace to work to pay for their gas, and allows them to take their girl/boy friends out on dates.

Fast Fred
04/19/2006, 08:05 PM
I make an excelent living and I don't work for walmart, or any 'big' company, or in lawn maint.

I work for myself and I do quite well. And I get paid what I'm worth. Not walmart, nor anyone else will ever put me out of business.

If you are worth more than you are currently being paid, then that's your fault for accepting it. If you are worth more, then find someone who is willing to pay you what you are worth.

coyoteseven
04/19/2006, 08:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7209751#post7209751 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by goda
... ... ...and usualy works them for 39 hours a week so they dont even qualify as full time...

In many states, working as little as 32-36 hours a week qualifies as full time employment. By your standards, I'm not a full time employee by only working 37½ hours a week and many like me that work a straight 8 hour shift (i.e., 7a-3p, 3p-11p, 11p-7a) with a half hour lunch break would not be either.

Don't get me wrong, I worked for WalMart® for awhile and could write a novel on the abuses (overwork, underpay, crappy insurance, unpaid overtime, anti-union threats, etc,) heaped upon the lower echelon employees by local/district/regional/home management.

Like Microsoft®, WalMart® is one of the largest companies in the world and trying not to do any business with them is going to be difficult, if not almost impossible in some places.

But in the USA you have the ablility to freely choose your supplier and can always take your business elsewhere.
Remember, there's always Linux, BSD, Solaris, MacOS and other non-M$ operating systems... ... ... and there's always Kmart, :uzi: PetSmart/PetCo :hammer: , local mom & pops and various on-line vendors (http://reefcentral.com/sponsors/) you can use for your pet needs.

BTW, the money in pet supplies is in dogs and cats... you can safely bet WalMart® won't be dropping those merchandise lines too soon! ;)

I'll get off the soapbox now and remember, this is
Just my 2¢

coyoteseven
04/19/2006, 09:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7208354#post7208354 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by angelsj247
the walmart by me does not sell any fish stuff anymore.. do they have online fish products anyone know??

Sorry to get off on a rant earlier, but to answer your question Angels247, WalMart® still has fish supplies available through their website... here you go:

Fish - Pets - Wal-Mart® (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=202074)

At least they have The Conscientious Marine Aquarist (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3635605) by Robert Fenner in the pet's book section. :)

HTH

KEITHMC
04/19/2006, 09:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7209234#post7209234 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hooker18
I second that. They also buy products at lowest cost possible and that usually consists of goods made overseas by little people that make $2.15 a day. DOWN WITH WALMART!! Nike (the evil swoosh) as well.
You better leave wal-mart alone my wife spends all my money there =P

angelsj247
04/19/2006, 09:43 PM
gezz.... i didnt mean to cause such a blow-out. lol i just asked a simple questions.. but thats ok.. i wont shop at walmart.. il support my petco store. thanks for all the info!

kuplo
04/20/2006, 09:39 AM
Oh beware the petco and petsmart police, they may be on you soon too if you shop petco/petsmart!

I only shop those two stores for dire emergency items, like if the lfs is out of salt for one reason or another, or if I can't find my dogs brand of food at the local supermarket.

I dont remember which one it is, but one of them have the salt water fish dept and from the couple different stores I've been in I've always heard the retail agent giving the wrong advise to a newbie aquarist. So I think your best bet is to not take the advise of anyone in these large retail chains unless you do your do diligence and investigate what they have told you properly and thoroughly.

Im not a great fan of any store where I can regularly find dead fish in tanks, or tanks that are full of ich laden fish (regardless of whether they are in quarentine or up for sale). Its sad when a store is setup where they can't isolate an individual tank that needs a quarantine much like these big retailers are setup. Some of them are lucky enough to be able to seperate one row from the rest of the tanks, but most of them can't even do that. My LFS has seperate quarantine tanks, as well as the ability to take any individual tank off the main system and seperate it for quarantine if necessary.

Im lucky now that one lfs thats 18 miles away is very knowledgble, but I remember back when I had to drive over 70 miles to get to a good LFS, you might want to think about finding one that is really knowledgble and has what you want to buy.

I've found even the big chain stores are not always the best in price, for example to buy Iams Smart Puppy food costs $18.95 at the local petsmart, and at target it's only $15.95

I think I've bought 3 fish from these large retailers 2 of which died before 24 hours, the other one (a false perc) is still with me going on 2 or 3 years old. YMMV

MCary
04/20/2006, 12:13 PM
Without getting into the politics of the debate, I'm just curious, if your going to buy online anyway, why would you buy from Wal-mart instead of say Foster&Smith, Premium Aquatics, or Marine Depot???

Teeka
04/20/2006, 01:49 PM
My local LFS leaves much to be desired. There is one that has a major attiude. Their prices are almost double what you get stuff online for.

goda
04/20/2006, 03:31 PM
sounds like bigals lol. most popular store in our area ( multi million $$ set up) but its more of a musium thena store and prices are crazy. example 60 bucks for reef crystals and 120 bucks for the reef aquarium book!

angelsj247
04/20/2006, 03:38 PM
well i was just gonig to take a look, bc ive noticed alot of people saying there buying stuff from walmart- just equipement.. thats all i buy at those stores and i have a gift card for pet co- i buy all my equipment there, except im looking for some good light fixtures- they didnt have much of a choice there. cuz i only have a small one on my tank right now that doesnt fit it.
and ive bought my first perc clown at a lfs and i was happy with him.. hes been alive for about 2 months now. well i went back there to get another one. that one lived for no longer than a week.. other one is still good.. and the last time i went there.. i noticed alot of the clowns have nips off there fins, and some of the other tanks the angel fish had a white dot on its eyes.. nothing looked healthy.. so i think i have another one close around here that im going to go take a look at.. otherwise i dont know where else to go

Alaskan Reefer
04/20/2006, 03:52 PM
This is an old argument. If you don't like Walmart, don't work there and don't shop there -- why is that so difficult for people? For me, as a person with plenty of cash to shop where I wish, Walmart is a no brainer -- why pay more for better service on detergent? Fortunately, I have skills that don't require me to work for the wages Walmart offers, but for other people it's a decent choice. There are no unfair labor practices, folks, other than slavery. You can always choose to leave.

As far as the fish section, it's marginal I agree -- but you get what you pay for just like at Petco. Like it or not, stuff is cheaper there, and for some people that's the bottom line. Should a welfare mother who shops at Walmart deny her kid a $1.00 fancy goldfish and wait six months to afford the same thing for $6.00 at the LFS? I'd say no, she's getting what she pays for, even if it's an inferior product, and kudos to her for providing as best she can.

It's also ironic that this thread has the mixed message -- skip Walmart where it's cheap because they're unfair, shop the local mom and pop because they deserve the business, but go online actually because it's cheaper.

At the end of the day, very very few people will pay more to keep a certain store in business over a larger, cheaper competitor. That's the nature of our economy. It's been going on a lot longer than Walmart has.

55Reef
04/20/2006, 04:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7214202#post7214202 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MCary
Without getting into the politics of the debate, I'm just curious, if your going to buy online anyway, why would you buy from Wal-mart instead of say Foster&Smith, Premium Aquatics, or Marine Depot???

^^^Has a Point!

Silencer
04/20/2006, 04:55 PM
To the original poster, I would recommend looking at premiumaquatics.com, marinedepot.com and other reputable online shops. You'll get better goods at better prices than just about any other option available.

Last time I checked, nobody was forcing the Wal-Mart employees to work there. They do so because they want to. They are as free as anyone to work somewhere else. It's simlpy refered to as a free market society. You make what you're worth. If you are worth more, and the employer work pay you more, then find an employer who will.

If you think people work there because they want to, and that people make what they are worth, you have some serious problems with your perception of the world. I'll save the rest of my comments so that I don't get banned :)

Pete1399
04/20/2006, 06:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7209234#post7209234 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hooker18

Your perception of these people overseas is incorrect. These people are making a fair wage for the country they work in. People like to get on a high horse and say it is not fair that these people are only making a couple bucks a hour so they protest the business. The business sometimes falls to the pressure of these people and pulls out of the country they are having there goods made at. All of the people in these countries are now out of a job because of a bunch a sniveling do-gooders that think they know-it-all. Would if we were a third world country and the only job we could get was making shoes or clothing for Wal-Mart and some group in another country rallied "for us" because we only make 2 dollars a hour. Would we be better with no job and no chance of getting one because our own economy cannot support us??? I do not mean to disrespect anyone but people need to realize that the world is not equal and others are not as lucky as we are here. The reason why Wal-Mart prospers here is because our market is demanding the low prices they offer; our market is US!

Pete1399
04/20/2006, 06:50 PM
I should have answered the original question also. I like to do business with www.drsfosterandsmith.com. They have a great customer service department that Wal Mart could not even compare to! Their prices are very good as well.

Fast Fred
04/20/2006, 07:00 PM
Silencer,

Last time I shopped at walmart, I didn't see anyone there in shackles or chains. I saw people there making the wage that they are worth. And for those that are worth more than they are actually making, THEY need to change. Life is about choices, and if you choose to work for walmart, it's because YOU made the choice. People make what they are worth. Yes, I truly believe that...with few exceptions...some people make more than they are worth.

Alaskan Reefer
04/20/2006, 07:03 PM
"If you think people work there because they want to, and that people make what they are worth, you have some serious problems with your perception of the world. I'll save the rest of my comments so that I don't get banned. :)"

I think you need to change this to "...I have some serious problems with your perception..."

People do make the choice to work there, probably because they need a job. For that, they should be thankful that Wally World exists. As far as making what they're worth, that's way too far reaching for a reef site discussion, I agree. :)

Fast Fred
04/20/2006, 07:14 PM
Just to clarify, I didn't bring up the subject of Wally World and slave labor. Someone else did. And if that's too far reaching for a reef site, then fine. I'll go along with that. But being that it was brought up in relation to shopping at WalMart for aquarium supplies, and someone else had stated not to shop there due to the business practices, I felt I had a right to resond to something I disagreed with.

If my perception of the world is such a problem, I wish someone who disagrees with me would explain themselves, and back up your point with some facts, instead of just saying Fred, your wrong. Tell me why I am so wrong. Butress your argument with examples, facts or data. Maybe you can clarify my thinking and change my perception.

ipiniowa
04/20/2006, 08:59 PM
I think Walmart should be a stepping stone. Kind of like McDonalds or KFC. If you want to find a better job, depending on the market or area you will. My brother-in-law lost his job from a good paying factory job, and he decided to find something till a good job came along. Which it did. I have seen multiple businesses in a small town go under because of Walmart however. When I say small I mean under 10,000 people. These people might be lazy just because it is easier and they have no ambitions in life. They believe in the "everybody owes me!" theory. I also know that Walmart tells you what they will pay you for service and will lowball everything. My company just decided to tell them to s**** off. We no longer do any work for them. Small mom and pop business like most of the vendors in our area are figuring that out, but there is always a new smuck. That is what they count on.

phuochai
04/20/2006, 11:07 PM
beware of " make in China " from wal-mart. those item don't last long.

geo
04/21/2006, 06:16 AM
lets focus on reef keeping threads :)

this thread is closed.