PDA

View Full Version : yellow tang with eye parasite

Richard parry
04/19/2006, 04:07 PM
Hi, everyone! I'm new here. Please help me with a problem. A week and a half ago I purchased a Yellow Tang and now it has a cloudy growth on one eye. I can't catch it to give a fresh water dip. Has anyone got any ideas?

TitansFan
04/19/2006, 04:15 PM
I would try my best to catch it to quarantine it so as to medicate it outside your reef tank. If that is not possible then I have seen where some people on here have ok luck soaking food in garlic to keep the tang eating. Then hope for the best and let nature cure itself...
I don't think the freshwater dip would help it at all. Would only work to stress it out more. Sounds like cloudy eye a common ailment of tangs hence reason for initial quarantine with these fish.

BTW welcome to reef central. And Good Luck.

Richard parry
04/19/2006, 04:24 PM
OK, thanks for the advice. How do you go about soaking the food in garlic, though? Also, do you think it could spread to other fish? I appreciate your kind words at this sad time.

chemesgh
04/19/2006, 05:25 PM
I put my yellow tang in the QT for a couple of weeks before putting him in my main tank. He never had any eye problems until I netted him and put him in my main tank. I think the net might have grazed his eye, and it clouded up for a few days. It went away on its own fairly quickly though. Watch and see if it's one eye or both that's clouding. If both are clouding, he probably needs to be put in a QT. If it's only one eye, I'd watch it and make sure it isn't getting worse or spreading to the other eye. If it's just a slight injury from transport, netting, etc then it should clear up on its own, especially with good water and diet! :)