PDA

View Full Version : Banded Coral Shrimp in tank WITH CORALS

chrisbenavides
04/19/2006, 04:33 PM
Just wondering what you all thought about keeping a Banded Coral Shrimp in a tank with zooanthids, polyps, brain, Xenia, mushroom, torch, and kenya tree corals.

Is this shrimp a bad choice?

I like the personality of the shrimp, and too be honest, I really don't have much personality in my inverts (e.g. hermits). I don't have a sea star, nor any other true crabs, so I figured if this guy would be cool for the tank with these corals and my reef safe fish.

Can you post your experience please.

Some say caution, and some say reef safe. What is it?

THANKS!!!

fijireef
04/20/2006, 11:11 AM
Supposedly can rip open corals to eat the food they're injesting..
While I've never personally heard of that a reefer friend of mine has one and he's an aggressive dude..IMO not reef safe. Others may disagree..Just seems to depend on the one you get...and the person you're asking :)

Charlie97L
04/20/2006, 02:32 PM
if he's small, and you have med-large fish... you'll be ok... if he's large, and you have juvie fish, it'll go after the fish all the time... in my experience.

i never had a problme with coral, i think those only happened in very large tanks where the CBS wasn't getting enough food. you have to target feed them. but they are a predator.

the smaller the better.

frederickk
04/21/2006, 06:20 AM
I do have a coral banded shrimp and I have to admit that he's pretty reef safe. He never touch any of my zooanthids, polyps, brain, mushroom, big torch, and even my fish.

I feed the tank well, and I can see him eat food going around him.
To me is reef safe, hope i'll stay like that.

elvictre
04/21/2006, 12:44 PM
I have one for 2 years and he is reef safe IMO. He is very aggressive towards fish and my other shrimp. Other than that he never touched a coral.

Vic

ONEMANBAND
04/21/2006, 01:05 PM
I have one in my reef, he likes to eat snails is about the only downfall. Does not hurt the corals at all. I have camelback and peppermint shrimp in the same tank without issues.

spawner
04/21/2006, 07:03 PM
The more you starve them the more they will want to eat.

lbaldrey
04/22/2006, 12:44 AM
I have a pair I collected in UAE waters and theyre pretty safe even with other shrimp...they do have some face offs but never seen a fight...all my corals are safe from Mr.&Mrs.Smith

Do give them a spot fed meaty treat at least once a week.